Explaining the career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawyer_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The one thing that would help is pretty extensive long stint of shadowing/ volunteering in the health setting. Show you really looked before you leaped. Show by your actions you didn't get up one morning and decide to try med school. Also have a good detailed reason why you are being drawn to medicine rather than running from law or teaching. A Long slow transition with lots of lengthy health ECs will help this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the importance of weaving a consistent narrative through LORs, essays, and interview and so I'd like to nail down why I am switching careers....
I'm not a big believer in finding a profound reason for becoming a doctor, or in finding a way to weave your past decisions as those leading you to life as a physician.

The truth is, that after trying teaching and law, you came to the conclusion that you want to be a physician. There's nothing wrong with this.

I agree with Law2Doc. What's more important is whether making this change is logical. Do you know what you're getting into? Are you financial stable (or do you have 3 kids, a mortgage, 2 car payments, etc.)? Is your spouse (if you have one) supportive?

In addition, are you someone with a spirit of excellence? Were you a good teacher, a good lawyer, etc.? Or did you fail at teaching, then fail at law, and now want to be a doctor.

MG

My plan, having also had a fairly successful stint in two careers before medicine, is to focus on the role these experiences had in maturing my view of the world and the kind of contribution I want to make in it. I want to use it as a point of contrast, one which I hope sets me apart as an applicant from the younger applicants who decide on medical school without any significant life experience.

That said, my prior careers did not involve graduate education, so I can see how the law school situation is tough to explain. It can be done though. I have a friend who came to a similar realization after finishing law school, and he regrouped and made his way into a top 20 med school. No idea how much clinical experience he gained before app, but I imagine it was a lot.

I find it hard explaining why I am transitioning into Medicine as well, other than "it's the only other thing that deeply peeks my interest", "it's the one thing I stayed up many nights thinking about when I imagine myself fulfilled". Someone asked me one day, "Right now, if you could be doing something in your life, something that deeply fulfills you, what will it be." I didn't have an answer then but I had a long drive home and stayed up all night that day. I called my mom in the middle of the night and she said "What's stopping you?". I did some research on what it'd take or cost me in the weeks that followed and went to shadow a friend for a month afterwards. I haven't looked back since then. I am still doing a kick-a$$ job on my current career but I want a change.

I have been successful in my career and alot of my peers and family members consider me this way. I don't communicate this new career move to alot of people because I have even received comments like "wtf!!! you are insane - you are already doing well. What's wrong with you. Do you know what's involved....blah blah blah" and they go on and try to convince on why it's a bad idea and how much work it is and how long before I become a doctor. What they don't realize is, I've gone through all that, I have asked all those questions and gotten answers to them within me. And ultimately, for me, it's not about the destination but the journey. Every single day that I am doing this makes me happier, motivated and deeply fulfilled. I still love my career and have learned alot but this new goal excites me like nothing I've ever been on. I had the best summer shadowing doctors.

But then, let's cut all that and go on to explain my reasons to an Adcom committee. What's a good reason really? People will insist on knowing but is there one?
Alot of people state: "Wanting to help people", "Save lives" etc. really? You can help people in many other careers. You can save lives many other ways as well. Many non-profit organizations are there to save lives and help hunger. Will I be doing myself in if I say, I am simply interested in studying medicine and working with people in improving their lives, relieving pain and utilizing whatever knowledge I have gained in medical school?

I have a question:

Does extensive shadowing pass for clinical experience? Or do I have to have extensive clinical volunteering too?
I have volunteering experience but not clinical. Mentoring teens at a community center.
Will this help?

No research however (where can i get the time for this).

The switch from teaching to another field is OK. The switch from law is going to be more difficult to explain. The key thing is to articulate that you're doing this for the right reasons, and not because Law is becoming an extremely difficult field to prosper in nowadays. I can just hear one of my colleagues asking "has this kid decided what s/he wants to do when s/he grows up?"

As a nontraditional, one difficult I'm having is explaining my career change. I know the importance of weaving a consistent narrative through LORs, essays, and interview and so I'd like to nail down why I am switching careers, why I feel medicine is a better "fit", and why I'm not a flight risk.

The issue is that I've had two "career changes", instead of one. I taught for two years through a teaching program (TFA) fueled by my own socioeconomic background and the desire to give back. This was an immensely positive experience, but I didn't enjoy being a teacher (lecturing, making lesson plans) as much as I liked particular aspects of the job.

I moved onto law school since I enjoyed debate in college (and knew I could get a hefty scholarship with just a good LSAT score), but fast forward three years and a well-paying job and I find that my job is very unfulfilled since the practice of law is very different from what I had imagined, and I do not find legal work itself to be interesting or meaningful.

I know this double career shift would raise a red flag for adcoms. I intend to say there were aspects of teaching and the law that I enjoyed which I could find in medicine, which is the complete picture. I can also admit that lack of self-awareness was a flaw that I had, but one for which I paid a high price, and I have corrected it by being more honest with myself regarding my interests and passions since that is crucial to ultimately being happy and doing good work.

Besides the obvious of gaining clinical experience and shadowing, is there anything else I can do? I know that career changes can be attractive, but I guess a "double" career change is dangerous? At the same time, I can't help believe adcoms are okay with second chances in life...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a big believer in finding a profound reason for becoming a doctor, or in finding a way to weave your past decisions as those leading you to life as a physician.

The truth is, that after trying teaching and law, you came to the conclusion that you want to be a physician. There's nothing wrong with this.

I agree with Law2Doc. What's more important is whether making this change is logical. Do you know what you're getting into? Are you financial stable (or do you have 3 kids, a mortgage, 2 car payments, etc.)? Is your spouse (if you have one) supportive?

In addition, are you someone with a spirit of excellence? Were you a good teacher, a good lawyer, etc.? Or did you fail at teaching, then fail at law, and now want to be a doctor.

MG
Given his already double career change and law degree, he will probably need a pretty good narrative to make his desire to be a physician believable, because it would be quite easy to write the app off as that of a person chasing wealth/prestige that didn't get enough of them in law school, or that of a career student that just doesn't want to commit ti a real career. This is in addition to the usual need for a reason that a committee believes is strong enough to inspire you through 8+ years of grueling medical school and residency. A person who says, "I just felt like going to med school for no good reason one day" could just as easily decide they don't like it and quit just as quickly. You'd have to be crazy to not have a good reason for sacrificing so much of your life.

To the OP, why do you want to be a physician?

OP, your teaching to Law is a reasonable step. People change careers often in this job market. You put down your present and pursued a valued interest (enjoyed debate, law has (had?) money in it, etc.)
Law to med is another big step, and you need to 1) make really sure you're not looking for the green grass on the other side, and that's for your own good, and 2) @Law2Doc has some really good points in that you'll want to spread this leap out by showing vested interest over time, as that slows down the idea that you're an impulsive, expensive career changer.
3) Do you have interest in combining the two in the future? Many J.D/M.Ds work in law firms, medical lawsuits, etc. If you are, point to the positive of the merge of these talents. Make a positive out of a question.

Best of luck.

3) Do you have interest in combining the two in the future? Many J.D/M.Ds work in law firms, medical lawsuits, etc...

"many" is a gross overstatement. A select few do. In general law firms will not be as receptive to this path as other career paths. You won't be that useful having two professional degrees in medmal -- 99.99999% of medmal lawyer dont have an MD, and it's not hard to hire MDs to review files for you and testify as an expert witness as needed. You won't earn more having both degrees. And you will have a harder time convincing employers you aren't overqualified or that you will leave to practice medicine. Not to mention that you will be another 4+ years out of law school without 4 years of experience, portable clients, etc. In short, if you want to do medmal don't go to med school, stay in law. So no, I'd say this is a door that sounds good in theory but isn't open in practice. As for being a medmal expert witness, you have a lot more credibility if you only do this on the side but continue to practice medicine. And would have a Lot more credibility with juries if you weren't a lawyer. So this venue is harder with both degrees too. There are actually a number of websites out there dedicated to the hurdles of combining these two degrees. Not an easy task -- there are no jobs that are readily welcoming for the combo and it becomes a task to sell employers on the value. In short, it's unfortunately often advantageous to just pick one in which to practice and not try to straddle these two worlds.

OK, I knew a few, but I'll take your word for it, and I'm sure it's not a streamlined, advised path to combine two of the lengthiest degrees.
However, as the OP is trying to do so due to his circumstances, I was trying to give a positive "spin", if you will. I do know a few JD/MDs and they all work in medical litigation.

Not advising he do it for the sake of two degrees, but I think it's a solid point for him in presenting his case.(?) Thanks for the info.

OK, I knew a few, but I'll take your word for it, and I'm sure it's not a streamlined, advised path to combine two of the lengthiest degrees.
However, as the OP is trying to do so due to his circumstances, I was trying to give a positive "spin", if you will. I do know a few JD/MDs and they all work in medical litigation.

Not advising he do it for the sake of two degrees, but I think it's a solid point for him in presenting his case.(?) Thanks for the info.
I don't know if saying you want to work in medical litigation would be much of a selling point to adcoms. They want to admit people who want to be doctors, not people who are going to sue (or even defend) doctors in litigation. Also, other than understanding the medicine better, physician/docs may not necessarily have an advantage in litigation - the two require different skill sets.

I wouldn't consider being in TFA as a career change. Plenty of people do it because they want to give back to society.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually don't think I know anyone who did TFA that intended to actually be a teacher in the long term. It probably won't even occur to adcoms that going to law school after TFA might be considered a career change if you don't present it as such (and instead present it as community service/life experience/whatever)

I actually don't think I know anyone who did TFA that intended to actually be a teacher in the long term. It probably won't even occur to adcoms that going to law school after TFA might be considered a career change if you don't present it as such (and instead present it as community service/life experience/whatever)

This.

TFA could be considered a pre-law activity. If you frame it that way, I sincerely doubt that medical schools would read into it, simply because applicants in law and medicine use it as community service activity. The peace corps is on a similar level as far as medical schools are concerned, from what I've gleaned on these forums.

Last edited:
OP, if you want it, go for it. No one knows yourself better than you do.

OP, I'd like to offer my insightful .02

The fact that you came on to a forum like this and asked others opinion about something life changing shows you are researching the medical field BEFORE making a change, and in my humble opinion, that's a good thing.

Once YOU have decided after many long hours (months, years?) of researching, debating, considering,etc, that being a Physician is your true life calling, DO IT!
I wouldn't do it for the money since you won't see any real $$ for a long time. Do it because you have decided for your own reasons. Many of us here have decided to change careers. Presenting to the adcoms that you are committed to a professional career as a Physician is no easy task, especially when you have had two careers in the past that you no longer found rewarding.

You may want to explain that you finished your previous degrees (showing academic commitment) and worked in your chosen career field....and how those positive experiences will make you a more understanding and compassionate Physician. Remember something about the journey: Your career change is but ONE aspect of what will make you a successful medical school candidate. Several factors come into play here: Academics, life experiences, maturity, clinical experience, commitment, compassion....the list goes on.

One thing you can count on here: people on this forum will offer you several opinions. It's up to you to take useful information from here (and other sources) and develop your own unique end product in gaining an acceptance letter.

Best of luck....we all support your professional decisions!

Robert