Explaining the process of post med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted647690

I'm sure there are resources to explain this, but could someone link me to a good one? I generally understand that you go into residency/fellowship after med school, but I would like the process explained in detail. So you do your rotations in 3rd and 4th year med school and then pick a residency to go into based on that? And what is an intern/fellow? Isn't a fellow like a physician that wants to go back and train in a different specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my bad I thought we were doing a thing where we insult people for no reason

Perhaps you can't distinguish between personal attacks with no basis in reality and criticism based on forum questions that can easily be answered with a simple google search.

Reactions: 1 user
That was the most useless link @xffan624. As someone who also had this question, that link answered nothing.

Perhaps you can't distinguish between personal attacks with no basis in reality and criticism based on forum questions that can easily be answered with a simple google search.
Perhaps you can't distinguish between constructive criticism and criticism which contributes nothing. You could have skipped the post. You could have answered it and moved on. Instead you decided to throw in an unnecessary comment calling the poster inept for asking for help.

If you can't refrain from insulting people unprovoked, I question your ability to be a compassionate physician... ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure there are resources to explain this, but could someone link me to a good one? I generally understand that you go into residency/fellowship after med school, but I would like the process explained in detail. So you do your rotations in 3rd and 4th year med school and then pick a residency to go into based on that? And what is an intern/fellow? Isn't a fellow like a physician that wants to go back and train in a different specialty?
You apply to residency positions through ERAS, which opens (similar to med school's AMCAS) in May of the summer before your 4th year. You interview through the fall and hopefully "match" into a program the spring of your 4th year on "match day".

Once you graduate you start your residency and ae considered an intern. In other words, an intern is the same thing as a first year resident.

A fellow on the other hand is a physician that has completed a residency and has gone back for further specialization in a particular field of medicine. For example, to be a cardiologist you must first do a 3 year internal medicine residency then apply for a cardiology fellowship. Another example would be doing a general surgery residency then applying for a fellowship in pediatric surgery. The point is, there are many many fellowship options, but thy all require you to have completed the appropriate residency.

Reactions: 6 users
escalated_quickly.jpg

The medical student forums might help as well, OP. Generally, you go through medical school, apply to residency (although I'm not sure exactly when), and then after medical school you go to residency. This can last for around 2-7 years. You get certified in your specialty and when you complete residency, you are able to practice as a physician. Some physicians do fellowships after their residencies; these focus on a sub-specialty within their specialty of choice, such as fellowships for neurosurgeons focusing on cerebrovascular procedures.

Just a minor, pedantic clarification: while it is possible to complete residency, go on to practice and then return for fellowship in most cases you apply for fellowship during your senior residency years and segue right into that training rather than going back.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you can't distinguish between constructive criticism and criticism which contributes nothing. You could have skipped the post. You could have answered it and moved on. Instead you decided to throw in an unnecessary comment calling the poster inept for asking for help.

If you can't refrain from insulting people unprovoked
, I question your ability to be a compassionate physician... ;)

I actually didn't insult anyone. You did. I stated my subjective opinion, and qualified it as my opinion. You just went second grade on an internet forum.

To the OP, if you're insulted, I apologize, but I do recommend you do some searching before asking questions and recognize when there are elements to a question that you can answer yourself and take the initiative to answer it. This will be actually be something valuable to you when you go into medical school.

I actually didn't insult anyone. You did. I stated my subjective opinion, and qualified it as my opinion. You just went second grade on an internet forum.

To the OP, if you're insulted, I apologize, but I do recommend you do some searching before asking questions and recognize when there are elements to a question that you can answer yourself and take the initiative to answer it. This will be actually be something valuable to you when you go into medical school.
Oh dear lord, you really gonna try and sell us that "I question your ability to get into medical school" was intended as well-meaning advice rather than an uncalled for jab? Ffs man it's not a big deal, plenty of people are a-holes by nature, especially on these boards. You ain't alone

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, because telling someone they won't make a good doctor because they asked a question was completely constructive. Give me a break.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a good resource that breaks down 1. how long each residency is and 2. which fellowships require which residencies?

Thanks @gyngyn!

@efle right? I'm doomed. Real talk though, the people on this forum are way more helpful than google. They know exactly what I'm asking/looking for even when I can't articulate it myself and can usually cite the exact resource that I need. Generally, google turns up about 15-20 different resources that are usually all sub-par lol.

Thanks @gyngyn!

@efle right? I'm doomed. Real talk though, the people on this forum are way more helpful than google. They know exactly what I'm asking/looking for even when I can't articulate it myself and can usually cite the exact resource that I need. Generally, google turns up about 15-20 different resources that are usually all sub-par lol.
Definitely, SDN >> premed advisers >> trying to find on google

Status
Not open for further replies.