explaining two MCATs in apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i offer an explanation for why my first score was much lower than my second if it was due to unique circumstances? i dont know if it's better to say nothing or say the reason bc it makes sense why my first is very low and my second is more accurate if one knows the context - dont want to seem like im making excuses but also would rather the adcoms know why than think im bad at testing or prep

Members don't see this ad.

Say nothing ! If they want theyll ask during interview . (Personal experience)
some other schools asked me during interview and I explained...this one was vita only so i did not have the opportunity to

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably not mention it in the primary/secondary but if there's an optional "anything else we should know about you" section in the secondary I might if it could be framed in a way to show I overcame adversity.

Last edited:
could i mention it in a letter of intent or post-II update ?

I wouldn’t explain at all to be honest . 2 Mcats is fine . And it wouldn’t hurt you. But if you try to explain it might come off as too perfectionist , or excuses or something else . Risky . Just my opinion though

Reactions: 1 users
should i offer an explanation for why my first score was much lower than my second if it was due to unique circumstances? i dont know if it's better to say nothing or say the reason bc it makes sense why my first is very low and my second is more accurate if one knows the context - dont want to seem like im making excuses but also would rather the adcoms know why than think im bad at testing or prep
Explanations only come off as excuses.

If there was a unique circumstance going into a high stakes, career-deciding exam, and yet you took it anyway instead of not taking it ,or voiding, then you telegraph that you may have judgement issues.

Do not do this unless the prompt specifically asks about multiple MCAT scores.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, don't bring attention if they don't ask. I wrote my MCAT 4 times and wasn't ask about this during the interview. However, while I (along with other members on SDN) are saying to not mention this, it'll be recommended if you prepare a strong answer in case you are asked :)

Reactions: 6 users
Explanations only come off as excuses.

If there was a unique circumstance going into a high stakes, career-deciding exam, and yet you took it anyway instead of not taking it ,or voiding, then you telegraph that you may have judgement issues.

Do not do this unless the prompt specifically asks about multiple MCAT scores.
I am just wondering if I should say something bc other schools asked in interviews and this school didnt have the opportunity to clarify as they only did VITA

my health advisor who served on an adcom for a T20 said i should mention the 2 mcats and why in an update as a side not but i am getting mixed advice

I retook what would otherwise be an average applicant's score (510's) to get 520+ the second time and literally no one mentioned it in interviews! Since you took it only twice, I really think you shouldn't bring attention to it and let them handle it as they do (taking the highest score, averaging, etc).

Yes, don't bring attention if they don't ask. I wrote my MCAT 4 times and wasn't ask about this during the interview. However, while I (along with other members on SDN) are saying to not mention this, it'll be recommended if you prepare a strong answer in case you are asked :)
Can Piggyback off this. Similar situation, not asked. Didn't mention. Had a good response ready which was more of the truth.

Last edited:
I took it twice and didn’t mention it in any of my essays. It only came up once during an interview when they congratulated me about the score improvement. I wouldn’t explain it unless asked

Last edited:
I am just wondering if I should say something bc other schools asked in interviews and this school didnt have the opportunity to clarify as they only did VITA

my health advisor who served on an adcom for a T20 said i should mention the 2 mcats and why in an update as a side not but i am getting mixed advice
IF you are asked, just tell the truth.

I'm just giving my advice from 20 years of reading essays that explanations just come off as excuses. The seem to sound better when coming out of someone's mouth.

why do students feel the need to point out negative aspects in their applications like explaining it as it will somehow help? Like in medicine, sometimes to just leave things take their course without intervention as if you do anything, it will make matters worse
Because everything that is not perfect represents a character flaw to them.