Explaining W's in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bio_master_2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from a class freshman year first semester because I felt that I "bit off more than I could chew" and wanted to take some time to adjust to the rigors of college. Is this an adequate explanation to adcoms? How else would you guys recommend answering this for secondaries? I just feel that saying you weere 'overloaded' for a semester is a cliche response and something adcoms don't want to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this as well. Except I withdrew from OChem 2 in my Junior year which looks worse.

Just to clarify, this was an engineering mechanics class that I withdrew from

Members don't see this ad :)
1 withdrawal is fine(particularly at the beginning of college) don't waste secondaries to talk about them it'll do more harm than good. If we are talking the beginning of college Theres a good chance it won't even come up in an interview but if it does just do some preparation for it.

you don't need a unique answer at all. Rather your focus should be on one that shows perspective and how you've matured since then and what you learned from it.

I wouldn't waste secondary space on a W from junior ochem even unless there is a specific prompt that asks for it or unless there is a specific prompt where it would be smart to address it. That however is probably more likely to come up in an interview

If you only have 1 W, there is no point discussing it on your secondaries. Move on and write about something more inspiring. I also had a freshman W for a very similar reason as the OP and it was not mentioned in secondaries or any interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't waste secondary space on a W from junior ochem even unless there is a specific prompt that asks for it or unless there is a specific prompt where it would be smart to address it. That however is probably more likely to come up in an interview

What if the prompt is something like "please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record"? My W Junior year was followed up by a C in senior year for Ochem II so I think that looks really bad. How should I address that in the prompt?

Thanks for the feedback. I usually don't talk about it in secondaries unless the the question asks so.

What if the prompt is something like "please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record"? My W Junior year was followed up by a C in senior year for Ochem II so I think that looks really bad. How should I address that in the prompt?

That is the type of prompt I would make mention of it. No one can answer this question for you but what will be looked for is 1) perspective and how you have changed and matured since that last mistake 2) what measures you took to improve 3) the improvement you've made since then

I had three Ws, and I didn't even think to discuss them. Never even crossed my mind. I got several IIs, too, so no need to worry about them, IMO.

That is the type of prompt I would make mention of it. No one can answer this question for you but what will be looked for is 1) perspective and how you have changed and matured since that last mistake 2) what measures you took to improve 3) the improvement you've made since then

I never retook the classes or went back to school after I graduated, but it has been 2 years since then. Now I'm working 50 hours a week while volunteering 5 hours a week, working about 5 hours a week on freelance work, taking a summer class that takes about 15-20 hours a week of my time and also finishing secondaries. Is that enough to show that I've since matured from the days where I would neglect schoolwork to play games?

I think what LuLuLovesMe and I are trying to get at is if you absolutely have to address this in secondaries, then what should you do? Not whether or not it is a good idea to address it in secondaries

3 of my secondaries have specifically asked to "Explain any course withdrawals." I have only one W on my entire transcript and it sucks having to come up with some BS reason why I dropped some random class five years ago.

It hadn't even occurred to me that this might be a thing. I have 2 W's from when I had mono. Unless someone has a bunch of them, I don't see why it'd matter.

Don't explain unless there's a prompt specifically asking about Ws. Your explanation will make an Adcom member think "and how do we know that med school isn't more than you can chew, if you couldn't handle this class or course load?"

I withdrew from a class freshman year first semester because I felt that I "bit off more than I could chew" and wanted to take some time to adjust to the rigors of college. Is this an adequate explanation to adcoms? How else would you guys recommend answering this for secondaries? I just feel that saying you weere 'overloaded' for a semester is a cliche response and something adcoms don't want to hear.

@Goro could you comment on my specific situation? What would be the best way for me to explain my W followed by a C in Orgo II. That's the only class I got less than a B in.

I never retook the classes or went back to school after I graduated, but it has been 2 years since then. Now I'm working 50 hours a week while volunteering 5 hours a week, working about 5 hours a week on freelance work, taking a summer class that takes about 15-20 hours a week of my time and also finishing secondaries.

Is that enough to show that I've since matured from the days where I would neglect schoolwork to play games?

How else can I phrase so that adcoms don't call into question my academic ability or maturity?

Don't explain unless there's a prompt specifically asking about Ws. Your explanation will make an Adcom member think "and how do we know that med school isn't more than you can chew, if you couldn't handle this class or course load?"

My thoughts exactly! Unless they are asking I'm not telling!! They have your transcripts, no need to beat a dead horse.

Just answer from the heart.
Let your transcript speak for itself.

@Goro could you comment on my specific situation? What would be the best way for me to explain my W followed by a C in Orgo II. That's the only class I got less than a B in.

I never retook the classes or went back to school after I graduated, but it has been 2 years since then. Now I'm working 50 hours a week while volunteering 5 hours a week, working about 5 hours a week on freelance work, taking a summer class that takes about 15-20 hours a week of my time and also finishing secondaries.

Is that enough to show that I've since matured from the days where I would neglect schoolwork to play games?

How else can I phrase so that adcoms don't call into question my academic ability or maturity?

Don't ask don't tell. I think adcoms are savvy enough to figure out that a few withdrawals are not indicative of anything nefarious and that they can happen to anyone. I have 4 on my application, mostly upper level CS lab classes. I work and do student gov't and sports so I think they'll see the big picture. Just don't make it a pattern. The same goes for less than fantastic grades IMO.

Unless you're talking about a dozen W's peppered throughout your transcript, no one cares that you have W's. I had a handful of W's on my transcript and no one ever asked about them.