Explanation for poor grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milosavljevic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Three of my C+'s in undergrad were "almost B-'s". I tried to appeal the grades each time (usually on the basis that I did any and all extra credit, went to all lectures, discussions, and office hours, did group tutoring, etc.), but the professors would never budge. I am aware that bad grades are bad grades are bad grades, and I don't have an excuse for them besides the fact that I didn't study enough on my own and I didn't study correctly to understand the material. However, I am also aware I will need to explain myself if I am fortunate enough to eventually apply to DO schools.

I am trying to find some way to explain it without so much negativity. In addition to the fact that I didn't study enough/correctly, would it ever be appropriate (maybe in an essay or an interview) to mention that my original bad grades were fairly close to the next higher grade? Or does this just look like I'm trying to whine and come up with a lame excuse for my original bad grades (the phrase "close but no cigar" comes to mind)? I'm assuming people have been in my situation with borderline grades before, but do students ever mention it anywhere in the application process?

Ex. 1 - My first time taking genetics I got a C. Here was the grading system:

TOTAL POINTS AND GRADE SCALE:
94-78: A
77-68: B
67-54: C
53 and below: D/F

My total points for the class was a 67, meaning I missed a B by 1 point.

Ex. 2 - My first time taking biochem I got a C+. My final score was a 58.4%, and the cutoff for a B- was a 59.0%.

Ex. 3 - My first time taking physiology lab I got a C+. The lab was curved such that out of 23 students in the lab, 3 students got A's, 4 students got B's, 8 students got C's, and the rest D's and F's. According to my TA, I was 1.5 points from the B- above me but they were required by the professor to make these grade distributions in all 12 lab sections.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I wouldn't do the whole, "but I was so close!" stuff. I would just own up to it and not make excuses. Say that it was a learning experience for you. You learned how to study better and earn the grades you wanted. Were your grades better after this/strong upward trend?

Hi,

Three of my C+'s in undergrad were "almost B-'s". I tried to appeal the grades each time (usually on the basis that I did any and all extra credit, went to all lectures, discussions, and office hours, did group tutoring, etc.), but the professors would never budge. I am aware that bad grades are bad grades are bad grades, and I don't have an excuse for them besides the fact that I didn't study enough on my own and I didn't study correctly to understand the material. However, I am also aware I will need to explain myself if I am fortunate enough to eventually apply to DO schools.

I am trying to find some way to explain it without so much negativity. In addition to the fact that I didn't study enough/correctly, would it ever be appropriate (maybe in an essay or an interview) to mention that my original bad grades were fairly close to the next higher grade? Or does this just look like I'm trying to whine and come up with a lame excuse for my original bad grades (the phrase "close but no cigar" comes to mind)? I'm assuming people have been in my situation with borderline grades before, but do students ever mention it anywhere in the application process?

Ex. 2 - My first time taking biochem I got a C+. My final score was a 58.4%, and the cutoff for a B- was a 59.0%.

Ex. 3 - My first time taking physiology lab I got a C+. The lab was curved such that out of 23 students in the lab, 3 students got A's, 4 students got B's, 8 students got C's, and the rest D's and F's. According to my TA, I was 1.5 points from the B- above me but they were required by the professor to make these grade distributions in all 12 lab sections.

Thanks for any input.

Yes it does so stop it please. You get what you earn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for any input.

honestly just reading about your "i was so close" dilemma made me bit annoyed so I can't even imagine what an interviewer's reaction would be if you gave this as a reason for poor grades. Honesty is the best policy. just say you were immature and have now learned important study skills from those mistakes, and put a positive spin on it all by talking about how you used these skills to excel in future classes.

I am aware that bad grades are bad grades are bad grades, and I don't have an excuse for them besides the fact that I didn't study enough on my own and I didn't study correctly to understand the material...does this just look like I'm trying to whine and come up with a lame excuse for my original bad grades....

Yes, it's whining. Even people with "good" excuses don't necessarily have bad grades. The sememster I spent 14 days in the hospital and missed several weeks of class I had a 4.0 and made the President's list. The semester my fiancee died I had one B, one B+ and the rest A's. Still made the Dean's list.

Trying to explain away that you were unprepared and didn't study is sooooo far away from an exceptable excuse that you should just forget it. If you made improvements in your grades later, then you might could mention immaturity on your part and the growth you have made since then. Otherwise, I'd just keep it to myself and hope for the best.

I'm unbelievably jealous of your grading scale. Good lord.

I'm unbelievably jealous of your grading scale. Good lord.

Really, holy crap. At that scale, I would have had all A's! :eek:

OP, don't worry about it. You got bad grades. So did everyone at one point, or we would see 4.0 average GPA schools.

Really, holy crap. At that scale, I would have had all A's! :eek:

OP, don't worry about it. You got bad grades. So did everyone at one point, or we would see 4.0 average GPA schools.

It's truly reasons like this that make me feel like the MCAT should hold considerably more weight than GPA. That, and I have a low gpa so I'm biased. :laugh:

I have a couple of friends that went to a really forgiving school and finished with 4.0 gpa's in biology and didn't know what an alkyne was. Sickening.

Unless you had some extenuating circumstances that resulted in an "average" performance, wouldn't make a big deal about it. Definitely do not go the route you're planning on with the "almost there." It sounds like you were just unprepared and it showed.

I know that I will be having to explain an academic career that is very inconsistent. Sure there were a few times that something took place that made it challenging but instead of taking these challenges head on, I buckled. And I do so because I had no idea how to handle them and I was stubborn and immature with some lazy thrown in for good measure. But over the past three or four semesters, I have maintained a 3.5 gpa and retaken classes I did poorly in. Have my science GPA to a 3.45 and my cumulative GPA up to a 2.75 with a few more retakes left. But I'll get there.

And when the time comes to explain myself, I will do so openly and without hesitation. I am not embarrassed and I do not regret what happened. I am a better student and much more focused because of what has happened. I will own up to my shortcomings. But I have a strong upward trend and solid MCAT. I have research experience and eight years in EMS as a paramedic. In short, just be upfront and honest and keep your head held high. Confidence in your ability and understanding of where you have been and how you have grown are worth more than any excuse you could come up with.

I'm not sure how to respond to comments about my school's "easy" grading scale. Just makes me feel even more stupid.

Were your grades better after this/strong upward trend?
Not until my last two quarters of undergrad when I started to get my act together. I am re-taking genetics now and starting a post-bac program to re-take the others.

Trying to explain away that you were unprepared and didn't study is sooooo far away from an exceptable excuse that you should just forget it.

Then do I simply say in honesty that "I don't have any excuses. I did poorly. End of story"? Without any mention of my bad study habits?

Can I ask why you care about 3 courses?

To those who say "I would have had an A"... ummm you don't know that, you weren't in HIS/HER course. My gen chem 2 course was similar, the highest overall score in the class was a 78%... I had a 64% which was a B...

milosavljevic, sounds like your redeeming factor will (hopefully) be your performance in post-bacc. Do well in that, and you can lightly touch upon your lack of focus and poor study habits during undergrad in your personal statement. Own up to your shortcoming, but don't denigrate yourself. Show that you learned from your mistakes and came out of it a better more mature individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for any input.

Whether you meant to come off this way or not..you sound like you're making it everyones fault but your own and I' pretty sure that that's how an interviewer would see it too. I have a few C+'s that i need to explain but my approach is not why it happened but what I learned from it and how I used what I learned from those mistakes to do better in future classes. They don't want excuses they want to see the ability to recognize your own errors and if you have the ability to learn from them.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

So on an ordinary grading scale you actually got a D in your first class, and an F in the other two classes? You performed poorly. Don't make excuses.

Like many have already advised, your best option is to analyze and understand how and what you learned from those bad grades, not how you were so close to the next grade. It certainly wouldn't be a good thing to say "I was so close to saving the patient" as the reason for screwing up.

Can I ask why you care about 3 courses?

To those who say "I would have had an A"... ummm you don't know that, you weren't in HIS/HER course. My gen chem 2 course was similar, the highest overall score in the class was a 78%... I had a 64% which was a B...

Yes, and those classes usually curve, which is why a 64% was considered a B... :rolleyes:

Yes, and those classes usually curve, which is why a 64% was considered a B... :rolleyes:

10 point grading scale, no curve policy at my University.

And don't say it must be easier. Out of 60 people in my Organic 2 class, there were 0 A's, 2 B's, a few C's and an unfathomable number of D's and F's.

It's just ridiculous.

10 point grading scale, no curve policy at my University.

And don't say it must be easier. Out of 60 people in my Organic 2 class, there were 0 A's, 2 B's, a few C's and an unfathomable number of D's and F's.

It's just ridiculous.

Just curious how many ppl are in ur class total? Being in a broke UC system, our orgo classes had about 500 students per class, and we had crazy curves like some test averages were like 58/100 and avg score = B- so a 64 would be a solid B. The tests were ridiculous on purpose. Most bio classes were not curved though and had normal grading and had fair tests.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Not sure if you guys are talking about a true curve or the "curve" where a professor makes the highest grade by an individual student into the maximum number of points (e.g if the highest grade is a 70/100, then that person gets a 70/70 and everyone else is graded out of 70). That is not a curve, though many students like to call it one.

Wow your grading scale is insane! I go to a public university with a +/- system where an A is a 94 and above. I'd kill for your scale!!!:(

Not sure if you guys are talking about a true curve or the "curve" where a professor makes the highest grade by an individual student into the maximum number of points (e.g if the highest grade is a 70/100, then that person gets a 70/70 and everyone else is graded out of 70). That is not a curve, though many students like to call it one.

In the classes that are curved at my school they took the avg and set that as b-/c+ , then use std deviation to make a bell curve.

Wow your grading scale is insane! I go to a public university with a +/- system where an A is a 94 and above. I'd kill for your scale!!!:(
Same here.

In the classes that are curved at my school they took the avg and set that as b-/c+ , then use std deviation to make a bell curve.

Sounds legit.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

:eek::eek: My GPA would have skyrocketed if my school curved this way. I cant believe someone who gets a 54 doesn't get an F instead passes with a C. I wonder if AACOMAS's scale adjustment would lower OP's GPA or not.

My school has no curve. You get what you get. :thumbdown:

:eek::eek: My GPA would have skyrocketed if my school curved this way. I cant believe someone who gets a 54 doesn't get an F instead passes with a C. I wonder if AACOMAS's scale adjustment would lower OP's GPA or not.

But u have to take into account the test is much harder, hence the curve.

My school was 10 point scale. Best case a teacher might add a point or two to a test. I'd kill for scales like these. Not a friend or family member, mind you, but someone could die...

Seriously. 78=A.

I would NOT make excuses. If I were an adcom and heard you complaining......I'd think that you're going to be a pain in the @$$ student and I wouldn't admit you. I'd consider retaking at least one of those and getting an A though.

If you tried to explain your performance this way at interviews, I'd reject you outright. Medical school is going to be HARDER than anything you've had before, and we don't curve either.

A 69 is the same as a 29.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

First, don't put grades etc in your personal statement. Use your other application areas and secondaries to discuss anything regarding this. Your PS is NOT for academics, it is for WHY MEDICINE. That's all WHY MEDICINE, what event/s led you to want to become a physician

Secondly, my class was curved, if the high was a 78, then the curve started there, 10 As, 10 Bs, 10 Cs, or whatever... it wasn't 78 became 100 and then down from there... I went to a state school, and if 3/4ths of the class failed every semester, the professor would be forced to change the curriculum... statistics say that that many students should not fail repeatedly if the material is being taught correctly and at a level that is appropriate for the course...

If you tried to explain your performance this way at interviews, I'd reject you outright. Medical school is going to be HARDER than anything you've had before, and we don't curve either.

ADCOM has spoken. /thread.

My school has no curve. You get what you get. :thumbdown:

I'd rather have a system where there is no curve, but the tests are set up for around 30% A's, 30% B's, 30% C's, and 10% D, F's. It makes no sense for your grade to be based on other peoples performances.

Hey Goro, while we have your attention, would you mind giving us insight into what would be the best way to address poor grades? I'm sure most people here would appreciate the opinion of an adcom.

The advice I got was not to put ANY negativity in your personal statement. You only have 4500 characters and if you spend 3000 characters talking about how you were always "so close", it is going to convey a lot of negative things about you as an applicants. My advice is to focus on the positive and exude confidence. If you get an interview and they ask you about your bad grades, DO NOT make excuses for yourself, do not say you have bad study habits, do not be your own executioner. Be honest and say you needed to mature over your college career and now you feel like you have improved. Don't whine and say you were close or talk about it in terms of "getting your act together" that makes you sound like a juvenile delinquent or something, it is all about wording and semantics my friend. Be your own advocate. I know it is hard but dig down and try hard, you can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
The advice I got was not to put ANY negativity in your personal statement. You only have 4500 characters and if you spend 3000 characters talking about how you were always "so close", it is going to convey a lot of negative things about you as an applicants. My advice is to focus on the positive and exude confidence. If you get an interview and they ask you about your bad grades, DO NOT make excuses for yourself, do not say you have bad study habits, do not be your own executioner. Be honest and say you needed to mature over your college career and now you feel like you have improved. Don't whine and say you were close or talk about it in terms of "getting your act together" that makes you sound like a juvenile delinquent or something, it is all about wording and semantics my friend. Be your own advocate. I know it is hard but dig down and try hard, you can do it!

+1 :thumbup:

I'd rather have a system where there is no curve, but the tests are set up for around 30% A's, 30% B's, 30% C's, and 10% D, F's. It makes no sense for your grade to be based on other peoples performances.

Yeah, they try to keep the course average in mid 60 to 70 so if the prof sees that people are performing high...well, you better study your ass off for the finals.

That is a hoard of As and a great example of grade inflation. It should be about 1 std deviation above average for about any non gen ed course (~16% As) and maybe closer to 30% As for basic courses. It is no wonder so many people have high gpas, with a third of the class getting As.

Where I did engineering we had multiple classes where only a couple or fewer people recieved As and many people busted their humps to get Cs. The only reason the average gpa was anywhere near a 3.0 is because we had over an 90% attrition rate between freshmen year and graduation, so everyone who was barely getting by jumped ship. Then the 2.0 engineering students suddenly became 3.7 business students.

Say aboslutely nothing about them unless asked at inteview, and then take ownership of whatever the reason. Many of my current students who struggled at first as undergrads had periods of illness, family troubles, family illnesses or deaths, or were just immature.

We recognize that there's no law that says you have to go to college at age 18 and many people aren't ready for it then. Once they get older, they bloom into excellent students.

Hey Goro, while we have your attention, would you mind giving us insight into what would be the best way to address poor grades? I'm sure most people here would appreciate the opinion of an adcom.

Reactions: 1 user
Say aboslutely nothing about them unless asked at inteview, and then take ownership of whatever the reason. Many of my current students who struggled at first as undergrads had periods of illness, family troubles, family illnesses or deaths, or were just immature.

We recognize that there's no law that says you have to go to college at age 18 and many people aren't ready for it then. Once they get older, they bloom into excellent students.

Does explaining that poor grades were a result of immaturity usually pass as an adequate explanation? I feel like it's not a good enough reason even if it's true.

Yes, it really does. As I wrote, not everyone is ready for college at age 18-21.

Good, because that's the only explanation I have.

Thank you for your help.

Does explaining that poor grades were a result of immaturity usually pass as an adequate explanation? I feel like it's not a good enough reason even if it's true.

Just write that you were young, dumb and full of com(pletely stupid ideas about life).

Just write that you were young, dumb and full of com(pletely stupid ideas about life).

Interesting. A coworker of mine (55 year old white male from a tiny little farm town) told me the exact same thing.

Then do I simply say in honesty that "I don't have any excuses. I did poorly. End of story"? Without any mention of my bad study habits?

Don't mention these grades in your PS. The PS is about why you want to be a doctor. If the school has a specific secondary essay where they ask you to explain grades of C or below (some schools do this) then you would write about it. If it is asked at an interview, then you would answer about it. You would write/answer with something along the lines of:

"I didn't get the grades I wanted in those classes. But I reassessed things afterward and figured out how to improve my grades. I met with a tutor and changed the way I was studying. I also started to go to professor office hours and recitations. I developed a study schedule and set aside a regular time each day to study. And my grades improved."

Hopefully, you have an upward trend in your grades to back this up. Whatever you do, do not blame anyone or anything else for your low grades. And make sure you mention what you learned from the low grades and specific things you did differently. This way, you are taking responsibility for your grades and showing what you learned from them. This shows maturity.