explanation of low grades

Started by heyhey20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heyhey20

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone!

I was just wondering...I have a low gpa (2.6) and I was wondering how anyone with a low gpa related that to the schools they were applying. Do you weave it into your personal statement, or can you write some sort of addendum in addition to your personal statement (like a short paragraph on why you had a low gpa and what you learned, etc.)? What do you guys think is better? I'm just having a hard time finding that transition in my personal statement to fit in the explanation for low grades.

much appreciated!!!!
 
Focus on your life experience, work experience, volunteer experience, networking, and letter of intent rather than just your undergraduate GPA. A sentence or two is in order. You can be honest. GPA often is not the most important part of an application. Don't write "I'm sorry I have a low GPA I won't do it again!". Write something more along the lines of "The lessons I have learned in my undergraduate college experience are with me today. I have a strong desire to excel in your graduate program..."
 
I think you need to answer the question for yourself: why did you get low grades?

Follow up questions: Did your grades improve at the end, or were they consistent?
 
The SOPHAS application has a section called "Other Relevant Information," and it's limited to 600 characters. I had a couple of false starts in community college way back in the way back (late 90's), and I addressed it there. Not sure if that's appropriate for your situation, but it's an option. However you decide to address it, don't dwell on it. Vayu's right - focus on the positives and your desire to get this specific toolkit, how you want to use it, and how you have prepared for it through work and life experience.