Low Master's GPA - PhD Application

Started by Sth1022
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sth1022

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I am in need of some advice and whether or not I should apply to PhD programs this year.
Here are some stats:

UG GPA: 3.5ish
Masters GPA: 3.65
GRE: 165Q/165V
Publications: 2 pending
Research experience: 3 research projects in my Masters program, 1 project in which I am currently working on five manuscripts (2 pending for publication) and 1 data visualization toolkit that will be utilized for policy makers in the Adolescent Health field. 3 years of work experience prior to my Masters at a policy advocacy nonprofit. Americorps experience.

I wad hoping to apply to PhD programs in the social behavioral sciences field this November...but I just got my summer grades back (much lower than expected). I was anticipating a 3.75 by the time I applied for programs but now it went down to a 3.65...I do have extensive research experience and publications pending at very well-known journals, albiet not the Lancet.

Really need some advice on whether or not these Stats are realistic for me to get into a PhD program.
Looking at the following:

1. Columbia Mailman - SBS program
2. Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences - Population Health
3. Yale SPH - health Policy
4. Stanford School of Medicine - Health Policy
5. Princeton - Population Health
6. Berkley - SBS
7. Johns Hopkins - SBI
8. Upenn - I mainly like their interdisciplinary curriculum since they dont have a SPH


Any advice would be helpful - esp. from people have are attending / know anyone who is attending / applied to any of the following PhD programs.
Thanks!
 
I think you do have a chance! Go for it! Also, check if there are cut-offs but I believe they review your application holisticlly