Explanation statement concerns!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyanko

total trash mammal
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a real internal battle here, and want to discuss this with others who are not currently located in my brain arguing about it.

Some of you who have been around awhile may recall the thread that I made about my post-mortem with UC Davis for the application cycle before last. Blah blah long story short, I was diagnosed with ADHD and since beginning treatment after that thread, the change in my life has been unbelievable. That's all well and good, my grad GPA is much higher and my rec letters and what I've accomplished since then will likely attest to this. However, it's only been one year out of a long history of academic mediocrity, and while graduate school is challenging, it requires a different skillset than something like professional school. There have been classes, and they haven't been easy classes for the most part, but it's still not the same. So I feel like I need to actually explain what improvements I've made, which then leads to the necessity of *why* these improvements have been so quick and drastic. In addition, since I've been to multiple universities and have multiple degrees, I need space in the explanation statement to relate the GPAs I got at those, since that is one thing that is explicitly stated to put there.

Anyway, the point is that as of right now, it reads like a bit of a whirlwind narrative, reveals that I have a mental condition, and tries to convince the reader that I am capable of success. Basically, I want to know if I should tone it down a little. Now, I am a little hesitant about passing the actual statement around here, but I might share it if I'm asked nicely and if you think that you could actually offer a good opinion or insight based on what I have written here if you're given more information. I'm not looking for fine-toothed comb nitpicking on whether it flows well or whatever, I want more of an overall opinion of "what's really appropriate to put in here, and what's TMI?"

So, I know you all have opinions. I've disagreed with them often enough. Hit me with 'em!

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep it brief and to the point. List out the different universities, degrees, GPAs. then in a separate paragraph mention that you have been diagnosed with ADHD and go on to say that you have changed/learned x,y, and z and feel that your most current course work is reflective of your potential (as opposed to the previous I assume lower GPAs). Make sure you end it on a high note. If you want to PM it to me you can but I make no promises I can get it back quickly (exams, junior spay lab etc).

Angelo - that's pretty much a necessity to keep it brief and to the point given that there's only space for 2000 characters! :laugh:

Essentially what you're saying is what I did, a couple sentences about each place I've taken classes (with GPA's listed, incidentally the order for the four schools is 2.5, 3.18, 3.38. 3.91 <--graduate), the realization that I needed help following rejection from vet school, diagnosis, and how things have changed. the end is actually just an affirmation that having gotten rejected caused me to enact a huge positive change in my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. I didn't use that section but it sounds like what you did would work.

hey nyanko i just sent you a private msg

could anyone help me here? in my explanation statement i am discussing two things - studying abroad and the reason for a period of low grades. since these are two completely unrelated issues is it necessary to transition from one to the next? or is it acceptable to simply put each in its own paragraph and leave it as that?

Now, I am a little hesitant about passing the actual statement around here, but I might share it if I'm asked nicely and if you think that you could actually offer a good opinion or insight based on what I have written here if you're given more information. I'm not looking for fine-toothed comb nitpicking on whether it flows well or whatever, I want more of an overall opinion of "what's really appropriate to put in here, and what's TMI?"

I'd be happy to look at it if you'd like. I don't have any general comments based off of the summary, but may if I read it.