Explanation Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdnerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating whether or not I should write a brief Explanation Statement... I'd like to get some opinions? (Sometimes I just think about things way too much...)

In my experiences section, I have nothing to put down for research, which really irks me. I would like to explain that I never pursued research (and thus have no experience) because I have been employed part-time during the entire duration of my undergrad studies. I do realize that simply having a job is not a legitimate excuse (and that's not what I'm trying to explain). I have been working as a vet tech assistant at my current job for a little over two years. While I believe research experience is good to have, I feel that working at the clinic has given me experience that is most beneficial to me and my goals. And since there is always something new to learn in the clinic, I've yet to hit a "peak" in my learning that would make me feel as though my time would be better spent elsewhere. That is why I decided to continue working at the clinic rather than gain experience in research.

I'm not really looking to justify my reasoning or make myself look better. My ultimate goal is to acknowledge that I have no research experience and give them an idea as to why that is.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should just be honest :) I'm sure a lot of people don't have any research experience!

I'm contemplating whether or not I should write a brief Explanation Statement... I'd like to get some opinions? (Sometimes I just think about things way too much...)

In my experiences section, I have nothing to put down for research, which really irks me. I would like to explain that I never pursued research (and thus have no experience) because I have been employed part-time during the entire duration of my undergrad studies. I do realize that simply having a job is not a legitimate excuse (and that's not what I'm trying to explain). I have been working as a vet tech assistant at my current job for a little over two years. While I believe research experience is good to have, I feel that working at the clinic has given me experience that is most beneficial to me and my goals. And since there is always something new to learn in the clinic, I've yet to hit a "peak" in my learning that would make me feel as though my time would be better spent elsewhere. That is why I decided to continue working at the clinic rather than gain experience in research.

I'm not really looking to justify my reasoning or make myself look better. My ultimate goal is to acknowledge that I have no research experience and give them an idea as to why that is.
I wouldn't say an explanation statement is necessary in your case. While research experience is great, I think most schools understand that not everyone has the time or interest level to pursue it. They can see on your app that you have been employed and getting veterinary experience, so they know you haven't been sitting around doing nothing. From what I've heard, veterinary experience is more valuable than any other type. If it comes up in an interview, I think you've got a strong explanation as to why you never pursued research, but I think an explanation statement to that effect would come across as overly defensive.

(ETA: Also, I don't have any research experience either. I was focused on my classes and getting veterinary/animal experience, and just never got around to pursuing it. If I could go back and do undergrad over again, I'd do research, but none of the professors at my undergrad school are involved in any projects that really caught my interest, so it would be primarily to improve my application. That said, I haven't gotten in anywhere yet, but to my knowledge my lack of research experience isn't a major factor.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have any research experience and never considered putting that in my explanation statement. I really don't think that's a big deal. Check the I don't have any research experience box and don't worry about it. It's not that you're expected to have all those types of experience just that they are what people often choose to pursue.

Ditto. I wouldn't put it in the explanation statement.

I really don't think it's necessary to try and justify a lack of research experience. I'd only use the explanation statement to talk about serious issues ("red flags") in your application. For example, I explained why I had several F's/W's one semester.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you should put anything about that in the explanation statement. I used it to talk about f's and w's on my transcript. I also put in there that I was certified in illinois to operate a lab to test for brucellosis in cattle. It's mostly to explain any red flags on your application in more detail. I put the brucellosis part in there because it didn't really fit anywhere else. It didn't seem to matter because I got in.

I also did not have any research experience and I did not think twice about it. Did not put anything in the explanation statement. Research is just one type of experience you may have, doesn't mean that you have to have it.

Thank y'all for all the help and suggestions! I feel so much better about having so many opinions (especially since they are all similar), and, taking y'alls advice, I'm not going to worry about writing an explanation statement. Thanks again!