Explanation Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot think of anything to put in the explanation statement section. Are there any successful applicants out there that did not submit an explanation statement? I don't want to add any information that is not relevant but at the same time don't want it to seem like I'm hiding/ignoring something. Besides this, my application is complete!

Members don't see this ad.

last year, the only thing in my explanation statement was my gpa from community college (it said somewhere to list it there)...and i was successful. this year however, i have much to explain about why i chose to decline, so i took advantage of the whole amount allotted for explanations :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also only put data in the explanation statement that didn't fit elsewhere. In my case, I listed my undergrad GPA as my overall GPA, so listed my other GPAs (cumulative, graduate school, etc.) in my explanation section. I also listed an explanation of how my undergrad institution gave every course 1 credit, but that according to them 1 of their credits = 4 credit hours.

That's all I put in there and it was never brought up as good, bad, or indifferent.

I even had some crappy undergrad GPA issues that I could have tried to explain there, but decided not to so as not to draw undue attention to those poor (but not abysmal) grades.

I also listed an explanation of how my undergrad institution gave every course 1 credit, but that according to them 1 of their credits = 4 credit hours.

I did the same thing on mine last year and said that I used the translated credit hours to calculate my overall gpa.

I cannot think of anything to put in the explanation statement section. Are there any successful applicants out there that did not submit an explanation statement? I don't want to add any information that is not relevant but at the same time don't want it to seem like I'm hiding/ignoring something. Besides this, my application is complete!

Most people have no reason to utilize the explanation statement. It is really for extenuating circumstances or school specific things that you need to clarify. It sounds like this doesn't apply to you, so go ahead and submit your application.

I also listed an explanation of how my undergrad institution gave every course 1 credit, but that according to them 1 of their credits = 4 credit hours.

Are you a Wellesley grad? I have the same issue--I don't know whether ot not it's common for schools to assign credit that way.

Here's my question: when you were entering your courses and you got to the scroll down box that said,"semester, quarter, unit, etc," did you choose unit? I assumed that's what I should have chosen.