Extended ophthalmoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMK2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do you bill for EO? Is it for only peripheral retinal pathology or can be macular pathology only?

Members don't see this ad.

How often do you bill for EO? Is it for only peripheral retinal pathology or can be macular pathology only?

I bill for it whenever I am documenting retinal pathology with a drawing and not concurrently documenting with imaging (e.g., OCT, angio, AF, fundus photo). For me, that's mainly PVDs and associated pathology (e.g., heme, breaks, lattice, RDs), but also nevi that are too anterior to image or sometimes macular pathology that has already been OCTed by a colleague prior to referral (if no need for angio). Technically, I think you can even make detailed optic nerve drawings for EO. Know that your drawing must be 3 inches in diameter, use standard colors, and include labels and interpretation. For subsequent ophthalmoscopy, there must be documented change. I may bill it a handful of times per week, that's all. Imaging modalities reimburse much better, are less time-consuming, and are mutually exclusive with EO (unless you can justify doing both, which usually requires the time and hassle of petitioning the insurance carrier).