Externship Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourthyearmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to go off to do 3 externships and was wondering if anyone had any particular advice regarding externships. Anything you wish you had known in advance or done differently? I am totally unfamiliar with the cities much less the hospitals. Do any of the residents out there who have been through this have any suggestions? Did you match at a place where you did an externship and did you feel it made a difference? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no one has any advice. Is anyone else out there leaving for externships soon?

fourthyearmed said:
I am about to go off to do 3 externships and was wondering if anyone had any particular advice regarding externships. Anything you wish you had known in advance or done differently? I am totally unfamiliar with the cities much less the hospitals. Do any of the residents out there who have been through this have any suggestions? Did you match at a place where you did an externship and did you feel it made a difference? Thanks!

I have no first-hand experience with this, but my friends who have done away rotations say it's key to learn how the particular hospital works as quickly as possible.

I'm doing one now...
The key for me was jumping in and figuring out how the hospital worked ASAP. The attendings all knew I was from "away," as did the other students. Overall, I feel quite lucky to have landed on my feet and gotten my bearings as quickly as I did. Still, I'm almost 3/4 done, and really wish I had more time.

Or perhaps I speak optimistically about spending the next several years of my life at this place...

Go. Work like a dog. (I should qualify that by adding that my dogs have never seen hard work, so it's a lousy saying. But you know what I mean.) The PDs, attendings and residents there know that you don't have family or many friends in the area, so go early, stay late, and make as good an impression as you can.

It doesn't hurt to have a good map of the city, and a map of the medical center. Ask a lot of questions. Read up on the programs so you'll know what to keep your eyes open for. (Scutwork.com is a pretty good source. IME, the evaluations were pretty good indicators)

Good luck and have fun!
Danielle

Just finished a Cardiothoracic Surgery rotation in LA, and will be heading off to Boston in a month for General Surgery. I agree with dchristismi, work like a dog. It's tough since you're in a brand-new setting, new hospital, staff, attendings, residents, nurses, etc. New city, new politics. Just work your tail off...be there early, before the residents and fellows show up. Stay until all the work's done. (Kinda the same advice as for third-year.)

work hard, be smart, make sure everyone likes you. good luck.