Externship Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCI->Scholl

Scholl 2009
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware that some externships require you apply for them. What exactly are they asking for in the application? GPA, extracurriculars, essay?

I myself will be starting externships in Jan and want to know as much as I can before having to start applying for them later this year.

Members don't see this ad.

...I myself will be starting externships in Jan...
You guys start externships in January of 3rd year? Wow. How many do you do? You must get to do about 10 if you start that early. Either that or you are nothing but a distant memory in those early clerkship locations by the time interviews and match rankings roll around a year later?

At Barry, we do 5 or 6 externships (depending if we want a month off) May-Dec of 4th year and then return for a few home months before graduation. Our 3rd year is all local core rotations. I'm surprised you start clerkships that soon; I thought 3rd year at all schools was core rotations.

You guys start externships in January of 3rd year? Wow. How many do you do? You must get to do about 10 if you start that early. Either that or you are nothing but a distant memory in those early clerkship locations by the time interviews and match rankings roll around a year later?

At Barry, we do 5 or 6 externships (depending if we want a month off) May-Dec of 4th year and then return for a few home months before graduation. Our 3rd year is all local core rotations. I'm surprised you start clerkships that soon; I thought 3rd year at all schools was core rotations.

We do 2 or 3 (depending on schedule we are put on) from Jan to May and 4 or 5 our 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty cool. Even though Barry has more clerkships than the average pod school, I wish we had a few more.

I'd think those first few you get during 3rd year will be good for learning and getting some variety, but it'd be pretty risky to check out programs you really might want, wouldn't it? It seems that they'd barely remember you by match time, and you won't know nearly as much as you would if you visited them later on.

That's pretty cool. Even though Barry has more clerkships than the average pod school, I wish we had a few more.

I'd think those first few you get during 3rd year will be good for learning and getting some variety, but it'd be pretty risky to check out programs you really might want, wouldn't it? It seems that they'd barely remember you by match time, and you won't know nearly as much as you would if you visited them later on.

I agree with you on that one. There are certain programs that I want to do an externship at, but not really residency. Its for some of those that I know an application is required.

Most programs have different expectations from their first externs to their last. They know you are fresh out and need to adjust. And some of the programs that you might really want might be your best learning experience as well. The 1st program that I visited, I really wanted to go there before and after the externship. It was also the program that I learned the most at and set me up to do well at my other externships and interviews.

I think all the schools have at least 4 externships - even NYCPM now has 4 externships.

I don't know why you would say they do more than the average pod school, your information is wrong.

AZPod - 6 rotations w/ 1 core and 3 electives or 5 rotations w/ 2 cores

DMU - up to 7 clerkships w/ 1 core clerkship

NYCPM - 3 clerkships

OCPM minimum of 5 rotations

Temple - Appears to have 3 rotations 3rd year and 4 rotations the 4th year

Scholl we have already been told is 6 to 8.

California's description is in Ancient Sanskrit.

That being said brother Barry is on the lower end of the curve not they upper. I know you mean well but do you homework pre-pods read these things so I'm not big on misinformed post even if they are innocent.

I am aware that some externships require you apply for them. What exactly are they asking for in the application? GPA, extracurriculars, essay?

I myself will be starting externships in Jan and want to know as much as I can before having to start applying for them later this year.

As for the applications, you will need a CV, which you basically repeat onto your Clerkship application. You will also add a little b.s. cover letter and a Glamour Shots with Deb photo.

In your CV, you include extracirrular, GPA, rank, ect.

As for the applications, you will need a CV, which you basically repeat onto your Clerkship application. You will also add a little b.s. cover letter and a Glamour Shots with Deb photo.

In your CV, you include extracirrular, GPA, rank, ect.

Cool, thanks. Glad to see that it is nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't know why you would say they do more than the average pod school, your information is wrong.

AZPod - 6 rotations w/ 1 core and 3 electives or 5 rotations w/ 2 cores

DMU - up to 7 clerkships w/ 1 core clerkship

NYCPM - 3 clerkships

OCPM minimum of 5 rotations

Temple - Appears to have 3 rotations 3rd year and 4 rotations the 4th year

Scholl we have already been told is 6 to 8.

California's description is in Ancient Sanskrit.

That being said brother Barry is on the lower end of the curve not they upper. I know you mean well but do you homework pre-pods read these things so I'm not big on misinformed post even if they are innocent.

feelgood must do his homework too.

NYCPM now has 4 externships. This was posted just above your quoted post.

feelgood must do his homework too.

NYCPM now has 4 externships. This was posted just above your quoted post.

I took that straight of the NYCPM website, so don't blame me blame your IT department. If you followed the link you would know that. INOVA is in trouble.