Externship? Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chotty

GarLique
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, SDN guys.

As a new person into pharmacy area, I don't know the difference between externship and internship. Would you clarify what they are for me?

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

chotty said:
Hi, SDN guys.

As a new person into pharmacy area, I don't know the difference between externship and internship. Would you clarify what they are for me?

Thanks! :D

I believe an externship is a practical experience at a site that the school assigns you to during the course of your education. You don't get paid for it. An internship is experience that you obtain on your own and you may or may not be paid.

There was never a distinction made between the two, at least from what I've heard here in Arizona.

When students go out on (non-paid) rotations as part of the pharmacy school curriculum, they're interns.

When students go out to their jobs to make money (on the weekends, during school breaks, etc), they're interns.

I once heard someone refer to externs as those who have finished schooling, but are not yet licensed. I don't know if that's correct, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an intern while I am working and getting paid, like I am this summer. When I graduate and am working, but haven't yet taken the board exam, I will also be called an intern.

In March, I start my externships. Those are rotations where I work in different areas, such as cardiology, oncology, OB/GYN, etc. They are part of the pharmacy school curriculum and I am paying to go to school while doing these rotations.

There is a lot of confusion with the names. UF is now calling Externships, Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience or something like that.

dgroulx said:
I am an intern while I am working and getting paid, like I am this summer. When I graduate and am working, but haven't yet taken the board exam, I will also be called an intern.

In March, I start my externships. Those are rotations where I work in different areas, such as cardiology, oncology, OB/GYN, etc. They are part of the pharmacy school curriculum and I am paying to go to school while doing these rotations.

There is a lot of confusion with the names. UF is now calling Externships, Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience or something like that.
so externships are rotations??

dgroulx said:

no

not everywhere

it is going to depend on the state and the way the law is written...

in AL an intern is someone who has graduated from a SOP but has not yet received their license

an EXTERN is someone who is currently enrolled in the SOP.

confusing? yes! why they do it that way? no clue

i don't think every state differentiates between the two.

bbmuffin said:
confusing? yes! why they do it that way? no clue

i don't think every state differentiates between the two.

I think that's why UF stopped referring to them as externships. It's too confusing.

So, in AL if you work during the summer does your name tag say Pharmacy Extern and not Pharmacy Intern?

dgroulx said:
So, in AL if you work during the summer does your name tag say Pharmacy Extern and not Pharmacy Intern?

hahah
no

i'm sure they say intern

:laugh:

dgroulx said:

I agree with dgroulx but I'm not sure.....
However, I know one thing that interns get paid!! :thumbup:
Thanks, sdn buddies :love:

chotty said:
I agree with dgroulx but I'm not sure.....

haha you can agree with her all you want to

my point is...

it varies state to state depending on what the law says

and no
my rotations also refer to me as an intern and i do not get paid.... :laugh:

ok.. the law says one thing but the people don't differentiate here...
that help?