Externship Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDHokie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year PsyD student and have a few externship interviews lined up. I was just seeking some advice from everyone from here. I applied to VA's, College Counseling Centers, Prisons, and Community Mental Health sites. I am sure the interpersonal interactions with the interviewee's is one of the most important things.

What are some good questions to ask your interviewers? Also, any general advice would be greatly appreciated! My first interview is tomorrow and I have no clue what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year PsyD student and have a few externship interviews lined up. I was just seeking some advice from everyone from here. I applied to VA's, College Counseling Centers, Prisons, and Community Mental Health sites. I am sure the interpersonal interactions with the interviewee's is one of the most important things.

What are some good questions to ask your interviewers? Also, any general advice would be greatly appreciated! My first interview is tomorrow and I have no clue what to expect.

Um, do faculty really not advise you on these things?

You should obviously try to talk to people who have practicumed there before. Otherwise, I assume you have questions about each site, right? How many hours are required, what kind of work you will do/population seen, what kind supervision and didactic are offered.

Thanks! Faculty members from my program were VERY supportive and helpful. Just wanted to get some advice from those who recently went through the interview process for internship or externship. Also, my interview for tomorrow kind of slipped my mind, so I just do not feel prepared.