Externship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbieme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I am considering doing some 3-week externships in the US which may lead to some Letters of recommendation.

My question is this.....I am really limited when it comes to funding for housing, transportation, basic everyday living needs etc so I want to know what is the minimum amount of time that I need to spend in an externship that would look favorable to program directors and their committee members. How long should I schedule the externship for? 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks?

Also do you think that 2 externships would be more favorable than one?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The more US clinical experience the better. However, you need to make sure that this externship actually involves patient interaction/management and is not simply an observership. Nobody is going to care if you did 6 months of observerships since they're not very indicative of actual medical skills.

Hey Robin786

Thanks for your reply. The externship is to be "hands on" so I guess I just need to get it done.

Thanks again.

Well, it's really more about the LORs you get from the externship than the externship itself. Candidates with 2 months of externships and 2 very strong LORs are probably better off than the candidate with 6 months of externships and 1 or 2 very average LORs. Furthermore, in order to get a strong LOR.. you probably need to do more than 2 weeks.

Well, it's really more about the LORs you get from the externship than the externship itself. Candidates with 2 months of externships and 2 very strong LORs are probably better off than the candidate with 6 months of externships and 1 or 2 very average LORs. Furthermore, in order to get a strong LOR.. you probably need to do more than 2 weeks.

Hi Zeyad

Thanks for the comments. I am hoping that I will be able to perform well and obtain a good LOR. I have decided to do 4 weeks now.

Thanks again