Externship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mawgs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year student and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do this summer. I'm looking to apply to some externships. Most of the ones I am interested say 3rd or 4th year students only. Do I count as a 3rd year this summer despite not starting 3rd year yet? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've asked several people and gotten different answers.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a second year student and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do this summer. I'm looking to apply to some externships. Most of the ones I am interested say 3rd or 4th year students only. Do I count as a 3rd year this summer despite not starting 3rd year yet? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've asked several people and gotten different answers.

Thanks!
Typically when they say third year student they mean third years at schools where they start clinics that year - so they're expecting students who have started clinics. That may not be true for all of them so it doesn't hurt to contact the specific programs to ask!

Reactions: 1 user
Typically when they say third year student they mean third years at schools where they start clinics that year - so they're expecting students who have started clinics. That may not be true for all of them so it doesn't hurt to contact the specific programs to ask!
Completely agree-definitely express your interest to the locations you're looking at. I got a 'clinical student' externship during the summer between my 2nd and 3rd year, so it can be done!