externships in OD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandlot2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and I just wanted to say that from what I've read, I've found the discussions to be really helpful! I have a few questions about the externship programs-rotations- at UHCO. I was looking through the ICO website, and I felt that the externships were very extensive, and it seemed possible to get an externship at a bigger city. I couldn't, however, find any information about where the externships are available thru UHCO when I searched the website. I'm interested in comparing the externships, particularly the places where students can rotate. Does UHCO offer externships in "bigger cities" like Boston, Chicago, NYC, near LA, Phoenix, or are most of their externships only in Houston and in Texas? Also, I have a few questions regarding the externship process at ICO and UHCO...

How do externships get assigned? Based on GPA, lottery?

Can you develop your own site? Has anyone done that?

How many rotations does each school do?

What experiences have you had if you've been on a rotation?

Was it easy to get a residency in the bigger cities in the states?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

sandlot2 said:
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and I just wanted to say that from what I've read, I've found the discussions to be really helpful! I have a few questions about the externship programs-rotations- at UHCO. I was looking through the ICO website, and I felt that the externships were very extensive, and it seemed possible to get an externship at a bigger city. I couldn't, however, find any information about where the externships are available thru UHCO when I searched the website. I'm interested in comparing the externships, particularly the places where students can rotate. Does UHCO offer externships in "bigger cities" like Boston, Chicago, NYC, near LA, Phoenix, or are most of their externships only in Houston and in Texas? Also, I have a few questions regarding the externship process at ICO and UHCO...

How do externships get assigned? Based on GPA, lottery?

Can you develop your own site? Has anyone done that?

How many rotations does each school do?

What experiences have you had if you've been on a rotation?

Was it easy to get a residency in the bigger cities in the states?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

:)

I guess I'll take this one since I just finished.

Externships (at UHCO) are assigned by GPA. The top 1/4 of the class picks first after all the people are ranked. You get GPA "bonus points" by getting awards in clinic which are determined by your attendings. So, students who aren't as strong book wise but are stellar in clinic get a boost up in their GPA. The year I picked it was 0.1 GPA point per excellence review in clinic.

Most of UHCO's externships ARE in Texas, BUT there are LOTS in other states and overseas. There are sites in Mesa,Arizona, Sweden, German military bases, Quantico Virginia, I did the VA site in Palo Alto California, there are also sites in Spain, Utah, Oklahoma,Spokane washington, Louisianna, etc. It's a HUGE list.

Externships are GREAT ! You learn so much more than you do in classroom settings (or even at UHCO's clinics). You just see more patients.. I learned SO MUCH.

As far as ease of getting bigger cities it depends on where you want to go and the dynamic of the class. My class was full of married people, so the huge war was over sites to stay in Houston. I wanted to go away so I had it easy.. no one wanted what I did. There was even an open spot for San Diego (which I NEVER would have thought would have happened!!) So, slots being open really depends on your class dynamic.. the class underneath me all wanted to go overseas so there was big demand for those sites (which had a lot of open slots in my class as well)

Hope this helps.. !!

anyone have any idea how NECO externships work?

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:

Externships (at UHCO) are assigned by GPA. The top 1/4 of the class picks first after all the people are ranked. You get GPA "bonus points" by getting awards in clinic which are determined by your attendings. So, students who aren't as strong book wise but are stellar in clinic get a boost up in their GPA. The year I picked it was 0.1 GPA point per excellence review in clinic.

Most of UHCO's externships ARE in Texas, BUT there are LOTS in other states and overseas. There are sites in Mesa,Arizona, Sweden, German military bases, Quantico Virginia, I did the VA site in Palo Alto California, there are also sites in Spain, Utah, Oklahoma,Spokane washington, Louisianna, etc. It's a HUGE list.

Externships are GREAT ! You learn so much more than you do in classroom settings (or even at UHCO's clinics). You just see more patients.. I learned SO MUCH.

As far as ease of getting bigger cities it depends on where you want to go and the dynamic of the class. My class was full of married people, so the huge war was over sites to stay in Houston. I wanted to go away so I had it easy.. no one wanted what I did. There was even an open spot for San Diego (which I NEVER would have thought would have happened!!) So, slots being open really depends on your class dynamic.. the class underneath me all wanted to go overseas so there was big demand for those sites (which had a lot of open slots in my class as well)

Hope this helps.. !!
Thanks, I had been wondering about the same thing.
Medically speaking, what can be the benefit of doing an externship overseas?

J.opt said:
Thanks, I had been wondering about the same thing.
Medically speaking, what can be the benefit of doing an externship overseas?

most of the sites overseas are American military bases or major research institutions (like Sweden). So, students go over there to learn, while traveling. Germany is the best overseas site if you really want to see Europe. You work during the week and travel on weeekends. Everyone I know who went there loves it.

cpw said:
most of the sites overseas are American military bases or major research institutions (like Sweden). So, students go over there to learn, while traveling. Germany is the best overseas site if you really want to see Europe. You work during the week and travel on weeekends. Everyone I know who went there loves it.

i spoke to a couple of uhco grads over the weekend who spent time in germany during their externship year, and they absolutely loved it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again.

i've never considered doing an overseas externship before, but i'm now starting to consider such options.

scraders said:
i spoke to a couple of uhco grads over the weekend who spent time in germany during their externship year, and they absolutely loved it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again.

i've never considered doing an overseas externship before, but i'm now starting to consider such options.

do you have to pay your own travel and lodging expenses? How long is the externship?

scalded said:
do you have to pay your own travel and lodging expenses? How long is the externship?

the German one has free on-site military base housing. And some of the other sides have places set up for students to rent cheaply. But, I didn't do anything overseas so I'm not positive of the specifics, but you can apply for travel grants from the study abroad office on UH's undergrad campus.

cpw said:

Hope this helps.. !!

Thanks...it definately did help! :D