Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranjis McBasketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools, in your personal opinion, have the best externship schedule? Are externships vital and essential in finding a good residency and "proving" your worth to that residency?

Members don't see this ad.

The one with the most externships prior to interviews are the best. Externships after interviews are worthless and I disagree with the programs that make you spend part of your fourth year on a "home" rotation where you have to work at the school clinic.

They are a one+ month job applications and every one you have is another shot. When I was at DMU I had 6 prior to interviews plus January which I don't really count because I only had a week or so before interviews.

The one with the most externships prior to interviews are the best. Externships after interviews are worthless and I disagree with the programs that make you spend part of your fourth year on a "home" rotation where you have to work at the school clinic.

They are a one+ month job applications and every one you have is another shot. When I was at DMU I had 6 prior to interviews plus January which I don't really count because I only had a week or so before interviews.
So DMU sounds like they have a good one. It also sounds like Western and Barry do as well. However I have heard that Scholls and Kents extern schedule isnt or wasnt that useful. If anyone could back this up or refute.

I only ask cause I am applying this coming cycle and this is definitely something I want to look at before choosing a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things have changed at Temple for the upcoming 4th years. They now have 6 externship months I believe. Prior years had 5 externships. I had 4 externships before I went to CRIP (January) and I was on my last externship that month. So I was at the last externship for like 2 weeks. Couple of my classmates had externships post-CRIP, and yes that is worthless. Having so few externship months sucks for those who ends up hating all the programs.

Went to Kent and most of us had six before crip (you can do up to 7 but most of us had our last one scheduled for January or February). My buddies group got a full 7 before crip and unfortunately 2 groups only had 5 months as their final two externships were scheduled January AND February. Overall 10/12 groups had 6 or 7 month before crip and 2/12 groups only had 5. We do have months where we cover our school clinic, but you can usually get a day off or two to visit a program.

Went to Kent and most of us had six before crip (you can do up to 7 but most of us had our last one scheduled for January or February). My buddies group got a full 7 before crip and unfortunately 2 groups only had 5 months as their final two externships were scheduled January AND February. Overall 10/12 groups had 6 or 7 month before crip and 2/12 groups only had 5. We do have months where we cover our school clinic, but you can usually get a day off or two to visit a program.
Congratulations on graduating "Dr. De Niro"!!!! Did your classmates that only had 5 externships for the most part still get the programs they wanted? Regardless of how many extern months you get, how many additional programs do you recommend to visit? Again, congrats!!!

Kind of a tangent, but if I want to do my residency in Texas, would it be wise to do all my externships there or take a few in other states just in case?

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a tangent, but if I want to do my residency in Texas, would it be wise to do all my externships there or take a few in other states just in case?
Do your externships at programs where you want to go. A region can help you decide, but don't pick a program you don't like because it's in TX. If you have enough TX that you like, go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on graduating "Dr. De Niro"!!!! Did your classmates that only had 5 externships for the most part still get the programs they wanted? Regardless of how many extern months you get, how many additional programs do you recommend to visit? Again, congrats!!!

Thank you, and yes all 18 students that made up the 2 groups got a spot, with most, if not all, getting one within the initial match. They were all smart and hard working individuals who were able to overcome receiving the short straw in regards to scheduling.

One final tid bit on externships, really try to do some research about externships/residency programs early, even if it's just talking to upper classmen. And when I say early, take some time during winter/spring breaks to look at the Caspr directory or talk to a 4th if possible. The sooner you have an idea where you want to visit, the easier your application process will be. I had some friends who didn't really have an idea where to go until the process started, and it just added to the stress of starting clinical rotations. One of my only complaints about kent would be the individuals who act as residency/externship coordinators seem to think everyone knows where they want to go by the start of 3rd year, and were little help in aiding in research of a program. So doing your own research into programs is in your best interest.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you, and yes all 18 students that made up the 2 groups got a spot, with most, if not all, getting one within the initial match. They were all smart and hard working individuals who were able to overcome receiving the short straw in regards to scheduling.

One final tid bit on externships, really try to do some research about externships/residency programs early, even if it's just talking to upper classmen. And when I say early, take some time during winter/spring breaks to look at the Caspr directory or talk to a 4th if possible. The sooner you have an idea where you want to visit, the easier your application process will be. I had some friends who didn't really have an idea where to go until the process started, and it just added to the stress of starting clinical rotations. One of my only complaints about kent would be the individuals who act as residency/externship coordinators seem to think everyone knows where they want to go by the start of 3rd year, and were little help in aiding in research of a program. So doing your own research into programs is in your best interest.
Thank you!!!

Starting with the class of 2019 Scholl now has 8 elective months for externships with a minimum of 6 prior to interviews. Still start in January of 3rd year and go through April of 4th year (have may completely off).
We haven't pulled out of the hat for tracks yet (they make us wait until after boards) but after we do I can update on the number of tracks that have 6 vs 7 or 8.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting with the class of 2019 Scholl now has 8 elective months for externships with a minimum of 6 prior to interviews. Still start in January of 3rd year and go through April of 4th year (have may completely off).
We haven't pulled out of the hat for tracks yet (they make us wait until after boards) but after we do I can update on the number of tracks that have 6 vs 7 or 8.

So it is technically possible to get 8 clerkships before CRIP??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile