Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

electronichate

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can people please share their externship experiences? I really haven't heard much about these. Personally I'm most interested in those in Philly and the West Coast.
 
I did my away at Penn this year and it was AWESOME. I realized that away rotations all about two things: hardwork (which you can control) and fit (which you can NOT control).
Penn's rotation is split with 2 weeks on sinus/oto and 2 weeks on head&neck. Both services are extremely busy because both services have world-renowned faculty. The residents are remarkable. They work like crazy and don't complain. And they are quite personable.
Overall, a most excellent experience...
 
I did my externship at Hopkins this year and I was really worried it would be a bust bc so many of my faculty where I go to school told me not to do it and said that it would only hurt a strong applicant on paper.

Though I can never be certain, I think it definitely paid off for me bc as the previous poster said, it was more to see how well I fit in with the residents. Of course I worked my butt off, but no matter where you go you are going to work your butt off. Even though you can't possible be everywhere at all times (sounds doable, I know) the residents know you are there to learn about their program and the ones I worked with were very receptive to my questions and did their best to include me into the team.

I can't speak for all programs but I think if you are on the fence about a program and want to learn more about what life would be like there (aside from the 2 days you may have in town when you interview) you should do at least one to see what else is out there.

Good luck!

CT