Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electronichate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people please share their externship experiences? I really haven't heard much about these. Personally I'm most interested in those in Philly and the West Coast.

Members don't see this ad.

I did my away at Penn this year and it was AWESOME. I realized that away rotations all about two things: hardwork (which you can control) and fit (which you can NOT control).
Penn's rotation is split with 2 weeks on sinus/oto and 2 weeks on head&neck. Both services are extremely busy because both services have world-renowned faculty. The residents are remarkable. They work like crazy and don't complain. And they are quite personable.
Overall, a most excellent experience...

I did my externship at Hopkins this year and I was really worried it would be a bust bc so many of my faculty where I go to school told me not to do it and said that it would only hurt a strong applicant on paper.

Though I can never be certain, I think it definitely paid off for me bc as the previous poster said, it was more to see how well I fit in with the residents. Of course I worked my butt off, but no matter where you go you are going to work your butt off. Even though you can't possible be everywhere at all times (sounds doable, I know) the residents know you are there to learn about their program and the ones I worked with were very receptive to my questions and did their best to include me into the team.

I can't speak for all programs but I think if you are on the fence about a program and want to learn more about what life would be like there (aside from the 2 days you may have in town when you interview) you should do at least one to see what else is out there.

Good luck!

CT