Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostglue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're starting to schedule our senior year block schedule, and I have a few questions for people who've been through this.

Did anyone go to another vet school for a rotation? And if so, was it for something your school didn't offer or because you were interested in going there for internship, or whatever else?

Also, how awkward is it for a student from another school to be on a block at your school? I think I would feel awkward, but I'm kind of shy anyway so that's probably just me... :)

If anyone did an externship anywhere (academic or private practice) and found it to be a great experience, please share!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you're interested in equine at all or even able to travel to NH but I did an externship at New England Equine Medical and Surgical Center and it was pretty amazing. Keep in mind this is coming from a non-vet student, but they did have 3 interns and 2.5 board certified vets (one had done a residency but didn't bother getting published) on staff everyday, have amazing (new) facilities, and offered a TON of hands on stuff including observing surgery.

If you're equine, I had a great time at Mid Atlantic (Ringoes, NJ) and Peterson & Smith (Ocala, Fl).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually small animal, but I'm sure that info will be helpful for anyone with the same problem who's large animal.

Thanks guys!

I don't know if you're interested in equine at all or even able to travel to NH but I did an externship at New England Equine Medical and Surgical Center and it was pretty amazing. Keep in mind this is coming from a non-vet student, but they did have 3 interns and 2.5 board certified vets (one had done a residency but didn't bother getting published) on staff everyday, have amazing (new) facilities, and offered a TON of hands on stuff including observing surgery.

Good to hear that you had such a great experience up there. I'm headed there this summer!!

Good to hear that you had such a great experience up there. I'm headed there this summer!!

Ooo exciting, Dr. Kaneps is amazing and everyone is sooo nice! I hope you get to see some cool stuff!

Do most people do externships during their summers? PAThbrd, did you do it during your summer? Like one each summer?

Also, I too am curious about going to a different school! I wondered what the students would think of the 'outsiders'.

Do most people do externships during their summers? PAThbrd, did you do it during your summer? Like one each summer?

Also, I too am curious about going to a different school! I wondered what the students would think of the 'outsiders'.

My vet school (Glasgow) required 26 (or something like that...memory is fading!) weeks of externships to be completed within the last 3 years of vet school (5 year programme). So I did a lot (I think I did about 30-31 weeks total)! I did them during breaks (spring, winter, summer). But we had long breaks to enable us to do so.

My vet school (Glasgow) required 26 (or something like that...memory is fading!) weeks of externships to be completed within the last 3 years of vet school (5 year programme). So I did a lot (I think I did about 30-31 weeks total)! I did them during breaks (spring, winter, summer). But we had long breaks to enable us to do so.

WOW! I didn't know we would be required to do them! They sound really neat so I wouldn't mind at all. It must be school to school if and how many they require?

I did two two-week private practice externships the summer between 1st and 2nd year. I went to MidAtlantic this year for a week over spring break, and this summer I am headed to Pilchuck in Washington (state) and am doing a RAVS trip and maybe another externship if I set something up. We are not required to do externships at Penn, but if you want to do an intership, most places (at least in equine private practice) pick their interns from students who have externed.