Externships

Started by DrZeke
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about externships:

1) I heard that it's best to know the structure of an away rotation, before committing to it. Do you think this is true and helpful? ie: you rotate around between residents and fellows or you work with only 1-2 attendings...
And, how do you ask these questions - do we have to call every school? I've already started emailing with a few, but it seems like quite a bit of work and I don't want to appear rude or demanding.

2) I may not have time to do 2 or 3 full 4 week rotations, is there a point in doing a 2 weeker?

3) How do you find out about whether or not you'd want to go to a program? I'm looking for middle tier programs, but there are so many to choose from and I'm a little lost. Any advice at all?


** BACKGROUND: Just to be clear, I'm not what you'd consider competitive in terms of my scores. My step 1 kinda sucks, but I had a big jump for Step 2. Other than that...I have a year of research under my belt with 1 non-ophtho manuscript pub, and an abstract and hopefully 2 more pubson the way (ophtho). I have two letters from well-known ophthalmologists in the field, so I may not necessarily be requesting a letter from programs I extern at. I just would like to make a good impression and hopefully obtain an interview.**

Thanks,

DrZ