Extra-curricular activities, how important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blbx93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my AADSAS application, and I have realized that my extracurricular activites are looking pretty bland. I am not sure what activities are applicable to this portion. I was in a dentist club at IU, but I was just a member, and the weekly hours section is not really applicable since we just met like twice a month. Also I tutored people for free, but not through an organization, so I do not know if that is worth adding. How important is this section really, anyways? Joining clubs for the sole purpose of being able to put it on applications seemed like a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

ha trust me EC's are important! If it was an EC, put it, plain and simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a tennis club worth putting? Hand-eye coordination.... maybe a stretch, haha.

That would be an EC. Remember, these don't have to necessarily be dental related. I had a whole bunch that weren't dental related. Show some diversity!

Yes, you should be well rounded in other activities. Community service, volunteering, shadowing, work experience, leadership and research experience is the kind of stuff the schools are looking for. If everyone else is doing it and you are not, your chances of getting in is getting slimmer.