Extra curricular activities lacking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erikin1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here are my ec stats: 1 yr of volunteering in a hospital, 1.5 years volunteering for habitat for humanity, and 1 year of tutoring underpriveleged kids. I have strong gpa n LOR. Is my ec sufficient for DO school, should i pursue more volunteering work?

Members don't see this ad.

You should consider an ongoing volunteering gig of about 4 hours a week or one trip every few months. It shows dedication.

for your application, no. because you enjoy it, sure.

what this tree-hugger said

You shouldn't pursue more ECs just to pursue more ECs. Find something you like and do it for that reason, not because there is a box on an application that says "check here for volunteering"

Members don't see this ad :)
When I apply I'll have had about seven years of volunteer experience as a volunteer fireman, and I'll have a few years of on and off work experience as a EMT / paramedic. Between now and the application period I don't know what I'll pick up. I assume at some point I'll try to get into some shadowing opportunity (blah!) and volunteer somewhere else although it probably won't be healthcare volunteering. I'll be giving up my very successful, supervisory law enforcement job to go back to school full-time and with the benefits that I have (free house, for example) it should show pretty darn well to assorted admissions committees that I'm serious about application. Prior to this I was a biology teacher. I'm a little biased, but I think I've got pretty good EC's. sigh

^ You gotta be really old or something ;p