Extra trip for Brown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfleur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't manage to schedule Brown near anything else East coast. I've heard good things about the program but don't really know anything specific about it. Rants/raves from current residents/rotators would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident at Brown and I think we have an awesome program. Great people, great training and a really busy ED. PM me if you have any questions.

There were a bunch of their residents at ACEP. All seemed really cool and EXTREMELY happy with the program. It was more than just BS talk about their program, it was obvious that they loved it. I had not considered them before then, simply for lack of info about the program. However, after meeting them and researching a bit more, I could not do anything but apply. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a resident at the program. I am very happy here, and I think we have a strong program. Please PM me for more specific info.

any opinions on brown versus yale? i thought they were very similar, but don't know anyone at either place...

brown seems to have nicer sim, but less publications/research. providence v. new haven seems to cancel out, but i'm not sure. faculty seemed great at both places. liked both sets of residents that i met... otherwise i have no idea which to rank where.

Not a Brown question, but a Rhode Island question. I'm going to Kent Hospital in Warwick and I was wondering where people would suggest living? I'm planing on buying a townhouse or condo...thanks

Disclaimer : I graduated from the Brown program 2 years ago.
Brown vs Yale - this was a question I seriously debated when I was applying.
Overall quality of clinical training seems better at Brown including better residents. I agree that research may be a little better at Yale. Yale is also far superior if you are interested in EMS research. Brown on the other hand is in a nicer city, cost of living is less, there is great proximity to Boston and the outdoor activities in New Hampshire / Vermont. Of course if you have a lot of friends in NYC Yale is an obvious choice.
Frankly people that I speak with that are hiring are just less enthused about Yale grads than about Brown grads. Brown has a very well deserved reputation for turning out people that can handle anything you throw at them.
I lived through the residency and now work in a very busy semi-academic ED with very high acuity. The first year out in practice is very scary and I am happy that I got the experience I did at Brown since there is very little you will not have seen when you get out of that residency.

Disclaimer : I graduated from the Brown program 2 years ago.
Brown vs Yale - this was a question I seriously debated when I was applying.
Overall quality of clinical training seems better at Brown including better residents. I agree that research may be a little better at Yale. Yale is also far superior if you are interested in EMS research. Brown on the other hand is in a nicer city, cost of living is less, there is great proximity to Boston and the outdoor activities in New Hampshire / Vermont. Of course if you have a lot of friends in NYC Yale is an obvious choice.
Frankly people that I speak with that are hiring are just less enthused about Yale grads than about Brown grads. Brown has a very well deserved reputation for turning out people that can handle anything you throw at them.
I lived through the residency and now work in a very busy semi-academic ED with very high acuity. The first year out in practice is very scary and I am happy that I got the experience I did at Brown since there is very little you will not have seen when you get out of that residency.
Brown's program has been around for a lot longer than Yale's program. That's given it a chance to mature a lot over the past years. I didn't apply to Brown, but from what I've heard of it, it seems like a great place to train.

Ultimately you must decide what factors are important to you. Don't go for name. Go for where you think you will be happy -- where you will fit in well with residents, where you think you'll get quality teaching, and where you will have opportunities available that you are interested in (whether it's simulation medicine, EMS, international medicine, research, or whatever).

I'm a pgy3 at yale and am very happy w/my training. I recall debating yale vs. brown when I was in your shoes. I ranked both very highly and have heard very positive things about both programs.

Particular strengths that are very tangible at yale are ultrasound, EMS, very approachable faculty (including PD and Chair), excellent off service experiences (including 6 ICU months), 6 months of elective time, associated with Johnson and Johnson int'l scholars program....also, there is momentum gathering in the dept. to make int'l EM and simulation even stronger.

PM me if you have any specific questions.