Extracurricular activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sonny881994

I was just wondering if you guys can tell me some example of EC and volunteer works that demonstrate leadership and the types that dental school want to see on an application? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're asking this question, then you probably won't be able to blow them away with anything you've done in this category anyways. Just make sure you have a few somethings which were worthwhile and not a complete waste of everyone's time-- doesn't really matter what.

I'm asking this question because i just started to get in the dental route so yes i haven't done anything mind blowing but isn't that where we all started at? and your answer really doesn't help at all i was asking what specific type of EC (also include volunteer works) that can impress them not just something to put on an app just so it can be filled. I appreciate the response though

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you do to impress a girl you really liked?

The gut response from most users based on how you've worded your question is that you shouldn't go do stuff just because you think it's something adcoms want to see. It's a competitive process and I think we all (in some form or another) can be guilty sometimes of thinking of our application over ourselves in the back of our minds. But as you map out your plan, whatever the EC, just make sure you enjoy it and aren't just trying to fill out every blank space on the application. You want quality, not quantity.

You seem to be seeking examples over advice, so I'll dabble. Leadership stuff I've seen? Military trumps a lot of things. Some professional workforce positions show leadership. Starting something from the ground up based on something your passionate about (like service projects or outreach programs). There's always the club officers if you're dying to put something for leadership.

Some good ones i can think of: cure AIDS, co-captain of the 1992 olympic dream team, nobel peace prize, managing consultant for McKinsey.

Ok in all honesty though... i agree with everyone else, go for quality over quantity. Stick to a couple things that you really enjoy. Some examples might be: YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Local library, Habitat for Humanity, Nursing homes, Hospitals, Soup Kitchens, Cancer Walks, Little League Coach, etc

Just pick something you enjoy doing and stick with it. Leadership things are pretty difficult to seek out. Clubs are a good way, but usually you have to be an active member for a while to be considered for leadership. Organizing and carrying out a fundraiser or charity event can be good. Examples: blood drive, can food drive, coats for the homeless, emergency cell phones for womens shelter, disaster relief... i have seen all these done very effectively.

If you're trying to impress the adcoms, there's a huge list of EC's and volunteer work you can scrounge up for that. UltimateHombre mentioned a few. :p
Do something that's out of the ordinary and that stands out. Hypothetically, if they have an applicant who has job shadowed, tutored, TA'd a class, was a secretary of a club, spent some time at a dental clinic cleaning rooms vs someone who job shadowed, started a non-profit business, raised $1000 towards a good cause, published a research paper, traveled to Honduras on a pre-dental trip, started a mobile dental clinic, etc., I think they'd find the latter applicant a little more intriguing.

- Get involved with your pre-dental club. Run for one of the Exec positions.
- Volunteer research
- Soup kitchen
- Nursing homes