Extracurricular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WSUWarrior012

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So here's my situation:

I am going to apply to Wayne State pharmacy this summer. I am taking the PCAT in the first week of September. For those of you who don't know, Wayne State uses a formula for their admission decisions of students (35% GPA, 35% PCAT, 25% Interview, and 5% extracurricular). My Wayne State GPA (50 credits) is a 3.76 currently with about a 3.65 science pre-requisite GPA. My community college GPA (21 Credits) with no science courses was a 3.40. The classes I took at my community college included 2 semesters of english, two semesters of math (which wasn't even required for pre-pharm), some gen eds, and political science (which I retook [D+ the first time, A the second time]). So if these GPAs averaged out into PharmCAS it would come out to about a 3.65 I believe with my science GPA remaining a 3.65 about as well. My extracurricular right now primary is volunteering at my local hospital in the nursing department and I have volunteered at a patient physical checkup at the Wayne State pharmacy school as well. I have not had any pharmaceutical extracurricular as of now but I am trying to see if I can shadow a pharmacist very soon. Would not having any pharmacy extracurricular activity (like pharmacy tech job, shadowing, etc.) hurt my chances of getting accepted? Keep in mind like I said, Wayne State is only 5% extracurricular, but I would still like to maximize my chances of getting that full 5%. What do you guys think? And based on all the info I gave you, What compositie/percentile on the PCAT do you think I should aim for as a MINIMUM?

Thank You
 
Also I have had an upward trend in my GPA. After my first year at Wayne I had a 3.66, and I brought it up to a 3.76 even after taking the more difficult classes such as Organic Chemistry 1, microbiology, pre-calculus, and calculus.
 
Your GPA is above the average of 3.5 so you should be good. Try get a 75+ PCAT. Aim for the 90s though. For the extracurricular, try shadowing a Pharmacist. It's not that hard to find a Pharmacist that would let you shadow. Finding a Pharm Tech job is hard though imho. How about taking the PTCE and moving to the Pharmacy as a volunteer? What about the Orgs in your school?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your GPA is above the average of 3.5 so you should be good. Try get a 75+ PCAT. Aim for the 90s though. For the extracurricular, try shadowing a Pharmacist. It's not that hard to find a Pharmacist that would let you shadow. Find a Pharm Tech job is hard though imho. How about taking the PTCE and moving to the Pharmacy as a volunteer? What about the Orgs in your school?
Yeah I've definitely noticed that I applied to four pharmacys for a pharm tech job and none of them even replied. And I don't know If doing that now would make too much of a difference just because they would look at how long you've been doing it as well and since I am submitting my
Your GPA is above the average of 3.5 so you should be good. Try get a 75+ PCAT. Aim for the 90s though. For the extracurricular, try shadowing a Pharmacist. It's not that hard to find a Pharmacist that would let you shadow. Find a Pharm Tech job is hard though imho. How about taking the PTCE and moving to the Pharmacy as a volunteer? What about the Orgs in your school?
Yeah I have noticed that as well I have applied to 4 pharmacies about a job and none of them even replied back. And unfortunately I don't think my school would offer that. So I guess my best bet at this point would be to just dominate the PCAT and shadow a pharmacist and hopefully that would be sufficient enough. If I can get called in for an interview then I could spend a lot of time preparing for that. So if I get called in for that interview early then that is surely an indication that it is a higher chance that I will get accepted, pending on how I do on the interview. What are your stats like, what schools are you applying to, etc.?
 
So here's my situation:

I am going to apply to Wayne State pharmacy this summer. I am taking the PCAT in the first week of September. For those of you who don't know, Wayne State uses a formula for their admission decisions of students (35% GPA, 35% PCAT, 25% Interview, and 5% extracurricular). My Wayne State GPA (50 credits) is a 3.76 currently with about a 3.65 science pre-requisite GPA. My community college GPA (21 Credits) with no science courses was a 3.40. The classes I took at my community college included 2 semesters of english, two semesters of math (which wasn't even required for pre-pharm), some gen eds, and political science (which I retook [D+ the first time, A the second time]). So if these GPAs averaged out into PharmCAS it would come out to about a 3.65 I believe with my science GPA remaining a 3.65 about as well. My extracurricular right now primary is volunteering at my local hospital in the nursing department and I have volunteered at a patient physical checkup at the Wayne State pharmacy school as well. I have not had any pharmaceutical extracurricular as of now but I am trying to see if I can shadow a pharmacist very soon. Would not having any pharmacy extracurricular activity (like pharmacy tech job, shadowing, etc.) hurt my chances of getting accepted? Keep in mind like I said, Wayne State is only 5% extracurricular, but I would still like to maximize my chances of getting that full 5%. What do you guys think? And based on all the info I gave you, What compositie/percentile on the PCAT do you think I should aim for as a MINIMUM?

Thank You

Luck is a big factor. You could be incredibly qualified yet seemingly be unaccepted. So just try your best and see how it goes.