Extracurriculars and Certification sections of the PTCAS

Started by katelly
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

katelly

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is_mayonnaise_an_instrument__by_cantseemyforeheadplz-d5ck0p7.jpg

I was searching for some some guidance about what kinds of things are appropriate to use under extracurriculars, honors, certifications etc. And I found this gem under a pre-med thread. I thought it was appropriate.

I do feel like I am making some stretches under these sections.. But on the other hand, I have done some really cool things- they just don't always fit in the neat little headings of this application.

Things I am wondering about-- recreational activities- like backcountry snowboarding, and climbing. I do these both a lot- (or I did before I went back to school full time anyway.)

When it says professional certs- can I include a Wilderness First Responder and Avalanche Level 2 course? One was paid for by my work, and the other helped me get the job in the first place.. What about CPR/First Aid?

How about one or two day courses I took? Climbing self rescue and a mountain biking camp? How about local snowboard competitions?

I feel like a lot of these things show a commitment to education. Some just show that I am active and busy outside of work and school. They all help show who I am and how I have spent my time since graduating from college 6 years ago.

I don't have a lot of volunteer experience for well known organizations.. I did help start a program at the local high school that teaches kids to build their own bike. I am definitely including this.

So anyway is mayonnaise an instrument? Can you help me decide what to cull and what to keep?
 
I would leave out your recreational activities from these sections but do find a way to work it into your essay. I would absolutely include the certifications you mentioned. And yes on CPR/First Aid. I wouldn't include the 1-2 day courses or local competitions (exception being if you were say a nationally ranked snowboarder or something). But again, look to work a few of those into the essay portion.
 
Thanks starrsgirl. I think it may be hard to work recreation into my essay- I don't want to have too many things I have to cover in such a short space. A friend suggested an idea that I like- to include recreation, but do it as one bullet point rather than one for snowboarding, one for climbing, one for races, etc. I'm going to see if I can make something like that work.