Extracurriculars and Certification sections of the PTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is_mayonnaise_an_instrument__by_cantseemyforeheadplz-d5ck0p7.jpg

I was searching for some some guidance about what kinds of things are appropriate to use under extracurriculars, honors, certifications etc. And I found this gem under a pre-med thread. I thought it was appropriate.

I do feel like I am making some stretches under these sections.. But on the other hand, I have done some really cool things- they just don't always fit in the neat little headings of this application.

Things I am wondering about-- recreational activities- like backcountry snowboarding, and climbing. I do these both a lot- (or I did before I went back to school full time anyway.)

When it says professional certs- can I include a Wilderness First Responder and Avalanche Level 2 course? One was paid for by my work, and the other helped me get the job in the first place.. What about CPR/First Aid?

How about one or two day courses I took? Climbing self rescue and a mountain biking camp? How about local snowboard competitions?

I feel like a lot of these things show a commitment to education. Some just show that I am active and busy outside of work and school. They all help show who I am and how I have spent my time since graduating from college 6 years ago.

I don't have a lot of volunteer experience for well known organizations.. I did help start a program at the local high school that teaches kids to build their own bike. I am definitely including this.

So anyway is mayonnaise an instrument? Can you help me decide what to cull and what to keep?

Members don't see this ad.

I would leave out your recreational activities from these sections but do find a way to work it into your essay. I would absolutely include the certifications you mentioned. And yes on CPR/First Aid. I wouldn't include the 1-2 day courses or local competitions (exception being if you were say a nationally ranked snowboarder or something). But again, look to work a few of those into the essay portion.

Thanks starrsgirl. I think it may be hard to work recreation into my essay- I don't want to have too many things I have to cover in such a short space. A friend suggested an idea that I like- to include recreation, but do it as one bullet point rather than one for snowboarding, one for climbing, one for races, etc. I'm going to see if I can make something like that work.