Extracurriculars/Research and residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

analgold09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was updating my CV recently when I came to the realization that apart from being in medical school, I have accomplished very little else in the past 3 years. There are no prizes, no extracurricular activities, no research or publications to be added. At the end of first year, I traveled to SE Asia not to help people but to lounge on the beach. My lounging was punctuated by getting a massage, eating, and aggressively bargaining for an extra five dollars off fake designer goods. In my spare time, I watch reality television, drink, read books I don't have to think about and experiment with ethnic cooking.

Will anyone else be leaving the extracurriculars/other section blank on their residency application? I've been thinking about things I can do to buff my application, but time is running out and rotations have exhausted me. Any ideas? I realize that this is the least important part of one's application, but I still feel bad about having done nothing noteworthy in my three years -- especially when classmates have published papers and organized medical trips.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in your position, so I can't speak much on it. However, while I don't think it's the most important aspect of an application, extracurriculars and research (especially if you are planning on applying to a high tier research hospital) does count for something. Doing something is certainly better than having done nothing.

I'm sorry you didn't take the time out to participate in such activities.

I'm not in your position, so I can't speak much on it. However, while I don't think it's the most important aspect of an application, extracurriculars and research (especially if you are planning on applying to a high tier research hospital) does count for something. Doing something is certainly better than having done nothing.

I'm sorry you didn't take the time out to participate in such activities.

Well, from what I know, research counts for something, but other ECs are dramatically less important. If you were the class president, that's probably worth putting down (although doesn't nearly have the kind of import it does as an undergrad). But merely being members of things or participating doesn't mean squat.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is perhaps something one should think about during first or second year.

I was updating my CV recently when I came to the realization that apart from being in medical school, I have accomplished very little else in the past 3 years. There are no prizes, no extracurricular activities, no research or publications to be added. At the end of first year, I traveled to SE Asia not to help people but to lounge on the beach. My lounging was punctuated by getting a massage, eating, and aggressively bargaining for an extra five dollars off fake designer goods. In my spare time, I watch reality television, drink, read books I don't have to think about and experiment with ethnic cooking.

Will anyone else be leaving the extracurriculars/other section blank on their residency application? I've been thinking about things I can do to buff my application, but time is running out and rotations have exhausted me. Any ideas? I realize that this is the least important part of one's application, but I still feel bad about having done nothing noteworthy in my three years -- especially when classmates have published papers and organized medical trips.

Research you could still do - get out a case report or something prior to submitting your apps. As for organizing medical trips et al, all experienced people on this site (residents, attendings) and guide books like Iserson's say it's worth about next to nothing.

Honestly, though - if you look at the kids who get into elite programs they have it all (grades, board scores, research, and ECs) and I imagine it's because being able to do it all is a good predictor of doing well in academic medicine later on.

At the end of first year, I traveled to SE Asia not to help people but to lounge on the beach. My lounging was punctuated by getting a massage, eating, and aggressively bargaining for an extra five dollars off fake designer goods. In my spare time, I watch reality television, drink, read books I don't have to think about and experiment with ethnic cooking.

Congratulations - you fall squarely in the realm of "average medical student." I'm not being snide; most residency applicants haven't published, been elected president of something, or saved starving babies in a 3rd world country...despite the impression you might get on SDN.

I think in "beefing up our applications" we quickly lose sight of the fact that programs are looking for candidates with certain qualities, not just the lame EC's and poor-quality research that we do to demonstrate that we have those qualities. So, if you have those qualities, convince them a different way. My two cents.

you are not applying for derm, are you?

Congratulations - you fall squarely in the realm of "average medical student." I'm not being snide; most residency applicants haven't published, been elected president of something, or saved starving babies in a 3rd world country...despite the impression you might get on SDN.

I think in "beefing up our applications" we quickly lose sight of the fact that programs are looking for candidates with certain qualities, not just the lame EC's and poor-quality research that we do to demonstrate that we have those qualities. So, if you have those qualities, convince them a different way. My two cents.

:) now i don't feel so bad about being average. :oops:

I realize that this is the least important part of one's application, but I still feel bad about having done nothing noteworthy in my three years -- especially when classmates have published papers and organized medical trips.

That all depends...what field are you thinking about applying to?

Whoa whoa is that some sort of attack on those who do extracurricular activities?

The importance of ECs are totally dependent on what you want to do.

Research in particular is important for the fields that are tougher to get into. Speaking from experience, you essentially have to have some research experiences (publication, presentation, etc) to even be considered for an interview in radiation oncology. Most radiation oncology interviews focus mostly on what research you've done, which can get tiring to talk about since most programs have you interview with 8-10 individuals throughout the day.

Research is definitely helpful for applying to other fields (medicine, peds, surg, etc) because it distinguishes you from the rest of the pack. But is it absolutely necessary? No way. Would I recommend you doing research? Only if you are truly interested in it. Otherwise don't waste your time. Finally, speaking of time your best bet if planning on research is to do a clinical project because basic science research takes way too long to get a paper.

I have a question that sort of falls into this thread. Im a first year student who is trying to decide what to do for my first summer. Many of my classmates are busy trying to find research opportunities, but I kind of just want to work/take it easy for my last free summer. I have a masters in Neurobiology, with 2 publications and 3 national poster presentations under my belt. Is that enough research, or should I also be looking to do research while in med. school in order to help in securing a competative residency? (maybe rads or surg.) I want to take the summer off, but I also dont want to have a blank application when it comes time to look for residencies. Any thoughts?

That all depends...what field are you thinking about applying to?

Internal medicine. However, I was hoping to get into a strong university program along the lines of Mt. Sinai or NYU. I do have a competitive step (near 240) w/ mostly honors in my clerkships, including medicine. Hopefully, this can balance my lack of research and distinguishing "extras."

Thanks for all of the input so far.

Internal medicine. However, I was hoping to get into a strong university program along the lines of Mt. Sinai or NYU. I do have a competitive step (near 240) w/ mostly honors in my clerkships, including medicine. Hopefully, this can balance my lack of research and distinguishing "extras."

Yup, sounds OK to me!

Whoa whoa is that some sort of attack on those who do extracurricular activities?

I think if you read it carefully I was criticizing the lame EC's and poor-quality research that students often do in order to "fill the gaps" on the CV. Unfortunately though, that's the game. I do it, we all do it. The alternative is doing high quality EC's (which are rare) or like the OP, just chillin and being yourself.

You will probably get an interview at most competitive residency programs in Internal Medicine, assuming you don't have any major red flags. Step I and clinical grades are the two most important factors for residencies. Only a handful of places might hold a lack of research against you.