Extracurriculars

Started by 623135
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

So I know that medical schools want us to have research, volunteering, and shadowing hours, but I was wondering what other types of extracurricular activities and other things they look for: clubs, sports, internships, study abroad, leadership roles, etc? Do these things matter? Or is it primarily activities that give clinical experience? I just want to know what I should sign up for when I begin undergrad in a couple of months 🙂
Besides active clinical experience (patient interaction through volunteering, employment, or clinical research), passive clinical experience (aka physician shadowing) and research, schools will also find appeal in leadership, teaching (coaching, TA, tutor, mentor), and nonmedical community service. Leisuretime activities are also good to list on the application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

So I know that medical schools want us to have research, volunteering, and shadowing hours, but I was wondering what other types of extracurricular activities and other things they look for: clubs, sports, internships, study abroad, leadership roles, etc? Do these things matter? Or is it primarily activities that give clinical experience? I just want to know what I should sign up for when I begin undergrad in a couple of months 🙂

Thank you


From what I've read and gathered, medical schools take into account a lot of things. They do look at things other than clinical experience and shadowing a doctor, but those are really important. Like catalystik said, they do look for: leadership, community service, volunteering, research experience, etc.
 
Last edited:
I don't think there is a cookie cutter definition of what medical schools look for. Medical schools want students that are passionate and dedicated to what they love. So if doing music is what you love you can join the choir for example. You shouldn't join clubs/activities because it "looks good". You should pursue what interests you. Once you apply all of that will come across in your applications and ad coms can tell who did what to build a resume and who did what because they WANTED to.
good luck!