extracurriculars

Started by ckent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if you all thought that extracurriculars would help a residency application. Several of my friends are all into getting leadership positions (like president of AMSA or AMA, IMIG, etc) in our different student organizations to pad their resumes, but I would rather devote the extra time to study more.
 
From what I have heard.... extra curics/community service/research are all very very important even in the residency stage of applications. Sorry, but I think you need to get out and do some stuff. BTW, I am not in residency, so take my advice to heart only when someone backs me up!! 😉
 
In the course of deciding where to go for med school, I ended up talking to a couple of residency directors about what they look for in residency applications -- extracurriculars & community service are definitely very important, esp. if you are hoping for something competitive. Sorry. Don't you feel like it never ends -- I'm slowly realizing my life is constantly broken up into 4-year chunks of school, test, applications, repeat. 😀
 
Yep - docuw and lilycat are right. I've been told the same.

While being an AMSA rep is undoubtedly good leadership experience it is hardly interesting (sorry Mango! 😉 ) or unusual. There are lots of international summer vacation medical or community aid programs which would look a lot cooler on your application, provide fodder for an interview discussion and would just be more fun, IMHO. Think outside the box!!