SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

extracurriculars

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ckent, May 23, 2001.

1. ckent

ckent Banned Banned

Jul 31, 2000
    Smallville/Metropolis
    I was just wondering if you all thought that extracurriculars would help a residency application. Several of my friends are all into getting leadership positions (like president of AMSA or AMA, IMIG, etc) in our different student organizations to pad their resumes, but I would rather devote the extra time to study more.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. docuw

docuw Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2001
    USA
    From what I have heard.... extra curics/community service/research are all very very important even in the residency stage of applications. Sorry, but I think you need to get out and do some stuff. BTW, I am not in residency, so take my advice to heart only when someone backs me up!! ;)

4. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    In the course of deciding where to go for med school, I ended up talking to a couple of residency directors about what they look for in residency applications -- extracurriculars & community service are definitely very important, esp. if you are hoping for something competitive. Sorry. Don't you feel like it never ends -- I'm slowly realizing my life is constantly broken up into 4-year chunks of school, test, applications, repeat. :D

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Yep - docuw and lilycat are right. I've been told the same.

While being an AMSA rep is undoubtedly good leadership experience it is hardly interesting (sorry Mango! ;) ) or unusual. There are lots of international summer vacation medical or community aid programs which would look a lot cooler on your application, provide fodder for an interview discussion and would just be more fun, IMHO. Think outside the box!!