-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
extracurriculars
Started by tmac01
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What do you guys consider to be extracurriculars..............like what are some extracurriculars that you're invovled in?
Anything outside of school is extracurriculars. They can be organizations on or off campus, church stuff, volunteer activities, etc.
I'm involved in the Pre-Pharmacy Society on campus, Student Global AIDS Campaign, TERPcorps (community service), and Alpha Lamda Delta Honor Society. I'm also a peer mentor and volunteer at a hospital in my spare time.
Hmm now that I name them all...I have a lot! I'm crazy...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey luckyluke, its probably a good idea for you to start your own thread to answer your questions rather than post them in this thread.
Hey guys... this is officially my very first post as I just registered to SDN (woohoo) so please be gentle with me! I am a pre-pharmacy student currently applying for entrance to Fall 2010.
I have read several of the threads regarding extra-curriculars, but I still have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers to:
1) I am applying to both med & pharm school. I love the aspirations of both careers, but in the end I will only choose one. Up to this point, I have done some volunteer work in the ER of a major hospital. This is the only volunteer work I have done so far. Should I list this in the Extracurricular Field even though the work I did was more related to medicine? Would this cause suspicion to pharm schools that I volunteered in medicine rather than in pharmacy? (Please note I originally wanted to pursue medicine, but the more I read about pharmacy the more I was attracted to it and I decided to pursue pharmacy in the past couple months. Plus med school is EXTREMELY competitive compared to pharmacy where it is still competitive but not as much. I meet all the pre-reqs for pharm school and I am taking the PCAT this August).
2) I was a member of the AMSA club (American Student Medical Association) at my school during the last year. Even though this was a club filled with activities for medical students, would it be ok to list it on my pharm school application? Or would that also raise doubts to pharm schools?
3) During my last year in my engineering undergrad, I joined the Taekwondo club just for poops & giggles and to meet & network with people... even though it was my last year. Should this type of EC go on my app, or would it be better to leave it off?
4) I originally got a computer engineering degree in my undergrad, and after working in IT for 2 years I decided to pursue a career in healthcare. So I have alot of work experience in IT. I managed to get a job as a retail pharm tech and worked from Oct '08 to end of Jan '09. I quit my job mainly b/c they were cutting hours and I was only working one shift every 2 weeks. I decided to focus on finishing my pre-reqs and study for the MCAT I took in May (and now the PCAT in Aug). In the "Work Experience" field, I will obviously list my pharm tech job. Should I also list my professional work in IT since I have so much experience in it?
Any advice would be much appreciated! 👍
If you think of those activities as ec's, put them down...
Hey luckyluke, its probably a good idea for you to start your own thread to answer your questions rather than post them in this thread.
Yeah, I think I will. I saw many threads on ECs so I wanted to avoid starting a new one, but I'm better off starting a new thread with a more descriptive title. Thanks.
Sorry to bump an old thread but do you guys think guitar/ guitar lessons could be a good EC or it that kinda so-so???
I dont know if they would have a positive reaction to guitar or not so do you guys think that would be something worth mentioning?
Im trying to get involved in EC cuz I have basically none except guitar.
I dont know if they would have a positive reaction to guitar or not so do you guys think that would be something worth mentioning?
Im trying to get involved in EC cuz I have basically none except guitar.
Last edited:
.
Sorry to bump an old thread but do you guys think guitar/ guitar lessons could be a good EC or it that kinda so-so???
I dont know if they would have a positive reaction to guitar or not so do you guys think that would be something worth mentioning?
Im trying to get involved in EC cuz I have basically none except guitar.
Not sure. I am kind of curious for the answer as well - did you find out? I volunteer and tutor... would also like to know if anyone thinks martial arts counts as an EC activity.
Anything outside of school is extracurriculars. They can be organizations on or off campus, church stuff, volunteer activities, etc.
I'm involved in the Pre-Pharmacy Society on campus, Student Global AIDS Campaign, TERPcorps (community service), and Alpha Lamda Delta Honor Society. I'm also a peer mentor and volunteer at a hospital in my spare time.
Hmm now that I name them all...I have a lot! I'm crazy...
WOW...👍😉
+1...👍😀If you play in some kind of organization, like a band or orchestra, that's extracurricular. Individual sports or guitar lessons are hobbies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anything outside of school is extracurriculars. They can be organizations on or off campus, church stuff, volunteer activities, etc.
I'm involved in the Pre-Pharmacy Society on campus, Student Global AIDS Campaign, TERPcorps (community service), and Alpha Lamda Delta Honor Society. I'm also a peer mentor and volunteer at a hospital in my spare time.
Hmm now that I name them all...I have a lot! I'm crazy...
Nice!
whaaat...? you cannot be serious?if you do intercourse few hours a week for few years with multiple partners, is this considered extracurricular?
is it considered a sport?


of course it's neither!!!whaaat...? you cannot be serious?of course it's neither!!!
i know lol. but the previous poster(mod assistant) claimed that everything you do outside school is considered extracurricular.
whaaat...? you cannot be serious?of course it's neither!!!
i put watching tv and going on the internet as extracurricular in my application.
heyy pharm ^ ^ yeah, i know you were kidding. i just had to reply after reading it... SO funny 😉i know lol. but the previous poster(mod assistant) claimed that everything you do outside school is considered extracurricular.