Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murfettie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys like to do outside of school?

All i ever want to do is cook.... and grow my little plants on the roof.
Sometimes I feel bad about it since I am that that interested in research, or volunteer to teach kids health or anything.

Then I look around, all the volunteer stuff is staffed by girls. The boys in my class hardly do anything to volunteer their time. In the end, we have similar jobs, similar careers..

Thought on extracurricular activities?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys like to do outside of school?

All i ever want to do is cook.... and grow my little plants on the roof.
Sometimes I feel bad about it since I am that that interested in research, or volunteer to teach kids health or anything.

Then I look around, all the volunteer stuff is staffed by girls. The boys in my class hardly do anything to volunteer their time. In the end, we have similar jobs, similar careers..

Thought on extracurricular activities?

What type of plants? :D

I spend 15-20 hours a week in the gym (powerlifting).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a female, and I try to do med school related stuff outside of med school at little as possible....that is, volunteering at the free clinic, research, club involvement, etc. might hurt my residency applications but mehhh i'm not into playing games and "getting involved" just to boost my cv. seems phony and shady.

personally, i snowboard in the winter, lift weights and run, play my old school video games, scrabble, disc golf, bowl, cook. there's life to be lived outside of the career and I feel bad for those who don't see that and waste some of the best years of their life gunning away.

of course, im terrified i won't match next year, though :eek:

i'm not into playing games and "getting involved" just to boost my cv. seems phony and shady.

I feel exactly the same way, yet I know if I say so to anyone, they are thinking secretly I am not motivated. But yeah, the lack of med school related ECs is gonna hurt pretty soon I'm thinking :(

Play games, cook, learn to cook, fail at cooking :(

Play games, cook, learn to cook, fail at cooking :(

Try Cook's Illustrated. I love that series - it explains the science behind the cooking/mistakes so you'll know what you're doing right/wrong and more importantly WHY. It's like a cook book for nerds. I used to suck at cooking til I tried this. Don't get the monthly magazines though - I find the recipes are best from their end of year ones - i.e. Best Recipes of 2012. Now everyone wants me to cook for them, which is a different problem in itself.