Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Extremely annoyed....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by notgettingin, Feb 22, 2007.

1. notgettingin

2+ Year Member

I got an email from Penn State today that they are withdrawing my application because they did not get one of the letters of recommendation.
    I sent in all of my stuff by late Oct/early Nov. I then called them every few weeks to make sure they received my stuff, and they told me that if anything is missing they will email me. End of february, they withdraw my application because something is missing and it is past the Jan 15th deadline???? How am I supposed to know that something is missing if it takes them almost 4 months to complete me? This is total bull**** and I want my money back.

The Office of Medical Student Admissions successfully received your Secondary
    Application, but it did not receive one or more of the letters of recommendation
    you listed on your Secondary Application as being part of your file.

The Office of Student Affairs was to have received your Secondary Application
    and all letters of recommendation listed on your Application by January 15.
    Unfortunately, that date has passed and the Admissions Committee must withdraw
    your application from consideration for this year’s Entering Class.

Thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That is some bs. But, I am not surprised it happened. From this past years experience, adcoms or people working for them have been horrible for the most part. To feel cheated and decieved, don't be to surprised.

I would call the assistant dean or someone else. Obviously talking to the front office has only given you false information. I am really sorry about your situtation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree...that completely sucks. I'd also try contacting the assistant dean or someone else--do you have any documentation of when/who you spoke to in the fall?

4. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Even Kal has bad days...
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

If you really kept up with keeping in touch with them since November, then you have a case. But if you left them alone for more than a month, they probably won't even humor you.

5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Is it possible that someone is playing with you? It seems odd that two different offices are mentioned.

I'd suggest forwarding the e-mail to the Dean of Admissions stating that you had checked in on [insert approximate date] and that you had been informed that you would be contacted by e-mail if there were missing items. State that you are extremely disappointed that the promised e-mail came too late to rectify the situation and that had you known of the situation (which as it was coming from a third party was somewhat out of your direct control) you could have taken prompt action. You can ask for a refund of your secondary fee but don't count on getting it.

What they are practicing is a hostile, war of attrition. It is a vicious, passive-aggreessive behavior. If they miss out on excellent candidates because of their "inefficiency" it is their own fault.

6. OP
    OP
    notgettingin

2+ Year Member

LizzyM">
    I called the front office, and spoke to someone who said that unfortunately that is the way it is. I then said that I would like a refund, becuase I think it is an unfair situation, and she transferred me to the voicemail of the dean, where I left a message. I am really pissed off..luckily though I documented every time I called the office in my spreadsheet. Anal, probably, but it helps me remember what schools I called when so that I don't call too many times :D