Extremely basic question on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Future MDs,

This is an extremely silly question, but then again, I'm a very untraditional man with nobody to ask around to.

Does everyone who applies to MD school get "invited" to submit secondaries? I did for 2 colleges. Does this mean that I have made some initial cut?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Future MDs,

This is an extremely silly question, but then again, I'm a very untraditional man with nobody to ask around to.

Does everyone who applies to MD school get "invited" to submit secondaries? I did for 2 colleges. Does this mean that I have made some initial cut?

That's pretty much a guaranteed interview. You should go get your suit ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I understand it, it generally means you have passed the initial filter for GPA/MCAT, though this may be a bare minimum cutoff.

Thanks a lot, Pb-Out. I gather that it's basically not a big deal at all. But I'm happy none-the-less.

Some schools screen for secondaries, many don't. For those, a request to complete a secondary is as if it were an acknowledgement that they've received your app and you're in the system, nothing more.

Some schools send secondaries to everyone. Some send secondaries to almost everyone above certain number cut-offs. Some send secondaries only to a relatively small percentage of applicants, for example UCSF gets about 6500 primaries and only sends out 1500 secondaries.
As I understand it, it generally means you have passed the initial filter for GPA/MCAT, though this may be a bare minimum cutoff.
Not necessarily. My in-state school OHSU does have a GPA/MCAT filter, but sends secondaries to all applicants. It is up to the applicant to read about these cut-offs and self-screen as appropriate. If someone below the cut-offs submits a secondary, their check is cashed anyways. Ka-ching! :smuggrin:

Not necessarily. My in-state school OHSU does have a GPA/MCAT filter, but sends secondaries to all applicants. It is up to the applicant to read about these cut-offs and self-screen as appropriate. If someone below the cut-offs submits a secondary, their check is cashed anyways. Ka-ching! :smuggrin:
Wow, that's harsh...