Nov 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Future MDs,

This is an extremely silly question, but then again, I'm a very untraditional man with nobody to ask around to.

Does everyone who applies to MD school get "invited" to submit secondaries? I did for 2 colleges. Does this mean that I have made some initial cut?

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
As I understand it, it generally means you have passed the initial filter for GPA/MCAT, though this may be a bare minimum cutoff.

rusyrusyrusy

Removed
Aug 9, 2010
Status
Hello Future MDs,

This is an extremely silly question, but then again, I'm a very untraditional man with nobody to ask around to.

Does everyone who applies to MD school get "invited" to submit secondaries? I did for 2 colleges. Does this mean that I have made some initial cut?
That's pretty much a guaranteed interview. You should go get your suit ready.

OP
Z
Nov 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
As I understand it, it generally means you have passed the initial filter for GPA/MCAT, though this may be a bare minimum cutoff.

Thanks a lot, Pb-Out. I gather that it's basically not a big deal at all. But I'm happy none-the-less.

Jan 17, 2010
Status
Some schools screen for secondaries, many don't. For those, a request to complete a secondary is as if it were an acknowledgement that they've received your app and you're in the system, nothing more.

Dianyla

in denial
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Status
Pre-Medical
Some schools send secondaries to everyone. Some send secondaries to almost everyone above certain number cut-offs. Some send secondaries only to a relatively small percentage of applicants, for example UCSF gets about 6500 primaries and only sends out 1500 secondaries.
Not necessarily. My in-state school OHSU does have a GPA/MCAT filter, but sends secondaries to all applicants. It is up to the applicant to read about these cut-offs and self-screen as appropriate. If someone below the cut-offs submits a secondary, their check is cashed anyways. Ka-ching! :smuggrin:

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Not necessarily. My in-state school OHSU does have a GPA/MCAT filter, but sends secondaries to all applicants. It is up to the applicant to read about these cut-offs and self-screen as appropriate. If someone below the cut-offs submits a secondary, their check is cashed anyways. Ka-ching! :smuggrin:
Wow, that's harsh...