Extremely Depressed due to recent events, Can I still get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flopsey21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So this was supposed to be my last semester at school (im 4th year), and up until this semester ended I had maintained a 3.84 gpa, 3.91 if you don't count my third year. I ended up getting some final marks back, and I failed both of the tests in the hard courses I took this semester (Got total of C+ in both of them, Only C+'s ive ever gotten) leaving me at a cumulative gpa of 3.72. What are the chances that I still get into med school, I'm thinking of not graduating this semester and increasing my GPA next year through taking some more classes even though I don't need to.

I got 128/128/128/126 on my MCAT

By the way I live in Alberta.

P.S. During this year's finals I had broken a leg, family issues had arosen, and i broke up with my girlfriend.

Members don't see this ad.

3.91 if you don't count my third year.
Why wouldn't you count your third year?

From what I've read, when adcoms see a dramatic outlier among otherwise excellent academic performance, they think that there is some kind of story behind it. Under normal circumstances, I think a 510/3.7+ would be fine but as you surely know international students are held to a much higher standard. Good luck!

3.72 and 510, you are right around the average for matriculants

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go for an extra semester to increase your gpa seeing that you are at Alberta but I believe Alberta has lower cutoffs for gpa than other provinces (esp., comparing to ontario). This may provide you the extra time you need to restudy for the mcat and retake it.

If you have 4.5 years behind you, maybe they can get rid of the semester you did poorly in so that your gpa remains above cutoffs. However, I also know outside of Alberta, the policy with the semester drop will be dependent on the school (assuming still in canadian land).

You will probably have better luck applying to the states for a broader choosing at the end also.