Extremely disappointed in my match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Also with respect to the above: attempting to double apply to dental school and medical school probably doesn't help either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like I agree with the general tone here. It's understandable and ok to be disappointed that things didn't work out as well as you'd hoped and that your hard work in the last 4 years didn't have the payoff you had anticipated. Own that feeling, deal with it, then go to work there with a great attitude. I would not try to transfer unless you feel that your program is providing inadequate training. Remember that your future depends much more on you then where you trained, kick a** during residency, then get a great job/fellowship.

Haha threads like this is the reason SDN was invented.

If only top 25 school applicants got into top 25 residencies, no one would ever move "up". Some must fall for others to rise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys like samuelp make me glad we are finally producing enough domestic medical students to crowd those Caribbean degree mills out into the sea.

Reactions: 6 users
I think that if you were able to work so very hard during medical school, get the best grades, scores and so on that you are going to make an excellent doctor for your patients because you will know how to help them.

I know you're disapointed but if you think about it, patients are patients wherever you go. And the feeling of gratitude they will have for you because YOU will be able to help them to become healthy again will fill you with joy and fulfillment. Hopefully this will bring you happiness and give you the motivation to continue to pursue your goals.

At the end of the day its about what kind of Dr. you are and how much you care for and advocate for your patients. Do that, and I guarantee that you will end up where you want to go.

Best of luck to you and Congratulations on matching and becoming a Doctor! Don't sell your self short these are MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS! :)

Keep your head up, everything always turns out well in the end ;)

Reactions: 1 user
So let me get this straight, you tried to backdoor yourself into medicine by going offshore, then complain when the backdoor shut on you?

You'll get very little sympathy from many of us.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed in where they matched? I had 5 top tier IM programs on the top of my ROL, was truly hoping to stay in my top 3 of my list and fell to #6 which is a solid middle tier. No one thought I would fall to the middle of my list. While everyone celebrates I'm floored. I can't believe it.
Does anyone ever transition from a mid tier to top tier program after their intern year?

I realize that I can't complain too much. I'm happy I matched. I get to be a doctor at an academic medical center. I matched at a mid tier program with excellent top tier fellowship matches in GI.

Maybe I'm just hoping that someone else here fell as far as I did - misery loves company. Plus it just seems like the chances of me falling that far on my list were so low (per advice from my home PD, faculty, statistics, etc.).

Was this a happy day for everyone? Was anyone able to be happy and cheerful despite falling down their list? Am I the only one crying today?

This is a little late, but I'm also extremely disappointed about where I matched. I'm coming from a top 15 medical school and not going into a very competitive field. My top two choices were very competitive academic programs and subsequent choices were not so competitive. I made the mistake of ranking a community program that I thought seemed nice as my third, and above other less competitive but still respected academic programs. Of course, I ended up matching at my third choice, and now I am kicking myself. Not that I have anything against IMG's, but half my class is composed of them, and coming from a top 15 MD school, I can't help feeling that I short-changed myself. I am kicking myself for not having ranked other programs higher. I am scared now because I am afraid I won't be competitive for any fellowships. Everytime I think about it I get sick to my stomach and wish I could go back and change how I ranked.

Part of the reason I ranked this way was because my signficant other liked this location. I never thought I'd end up at this program, so I agreed to rank it third, now I find myself resenting my SO.

I feel like my situation stinks. I went from expecting to get into a really strong academic program into an unranked, essentially community program. I feel embarassed to talk to my friends about the match, because they all ended up at reputable places or at their top choice.

This is a little late, but I'm also extremely disappointed about where I matched. I'm coming from a top 15 medical school and not going into a very competitive field. My top two choices were very competitive academic programs and subsequent choices were not so competitive. I made the mistake of ranking a community program that I thought seemed nice as my third, and above other less competitive but still respected academic programs. Of course, I ended up matching at my third choice, and now I am kicking myself. Not that I have anything against IMG's, but half my class is composed of them, and coming from a top 15 MD school, I can't help feeling that I short-changed myself. I am kicking myself for not having ranked other programs higher. I am scared now because I am afraid I won't be competitive for any fellowships. Everytime I think about it I get sick to my stomach and wish I could go back and change how I ranked.

Part of the reason I ranked this way was because my signficant other liked this location. I never thought I'd end up at this program, so I agreed to rank it third, now I find myself resenting my SO.

I feel like my situation stinks. I went from expecting to get into a really strong academic program into an unranked, essentially community program. I feel embarassed to talk to my friends about the match, because they all ended up at reputable places or at their top choice.

My situation doubly stings because I didn't get my top choice, but also because I ended up at a place that was probably one of the weakest programs on my list. Can I recover from this? Will I be able to get a job?

I never thought I'd end up at this program, so I agreed to rank it third

i know things were more competitive this year, but in reading previous Charting Outcomes issues, #3 on a ROL hasn't really seemed that far-fetched in previous years, even for IM, etc.

A few days out from match day and I am feeling a whole lot better. I am still disappointed in the results of match day but I know that I can reach my goals in my program. Getting emails with Dr. ____ on them made me look back at the fact that I am very lucky to be in the position I am in.

Also surrounding myself with non-medical people who have no idea what the match is and think its just awesome that I'm a doctor has helped tremendously. I still think I will have a hard time being around my classmates, as objectively my program is awesome, but when I compare myself to others I still feed bad and feel that this was an injustice.

I am reaching the "acceptance" stage of my grieving process and it only took a few days. I knew I would get here but when you're in the middle of it you just feel awful and it feels like you'll feel like this for a long time.

There was obviously a reason why you ranked this program #3. I think you will come I am kicking myself for putting a few top tiers under my#6 program because they had more undesirable locations. I did not expect to go past #5 on my list (would have been thrilled with 1-3, and ok with 4-5) so my reasoning was for my personal and social life not for the program. Even though I'm feeling bad about it now, I made that decision for a reason.

Your SO might have had something to do with it but if you felt that strongly that you disliked that program, you probably would not have ranked it so highly. In the moment it is hard not to question all the decisions you have made through the process - did I not apply to enough programs? Should I have expanded the locations I applied to? Should I have gone to some of the interviews that I cancelled? Should I have ranked a top tier with a bad location over a middle tier with a great one?

I completely understand feeling embarrassed. I feel the same way. Especially seeing my classmates at other programs that I ranked higher and didn't match to and knowing that certain classmates know this must have been very low on my list. There are probably many more people disappointed at the match day results than you think. Most people hide it. I'm sure many people matched at their home program were disappointed but there is no way you can show that. The reason I started this thread is because I knew that it is a bad idea to go around telling people how terrible you feel about your situation when some are celebrating and you don't want to ruin their fun or others are in a situation that is worse. I wanted to just know people were out there in my same situation, commiserate, and do it completely anonymously. Because to the world I need to look thrilled about this.

My situation doubly stings because I didn't get my top choice, but also because I ended up at a place that was probably one of the weakest programs on my list. Can I recover from this? Will I be able to get a job?

Have you considered meeting with one of your deans or faculty at your institution to discuss it? There is no way anyone can answer on this board without knowing the program. The best thing you can do is look at the fellowship matches and career paths of previous grads of your program.

Of course you're disappointed, but there has got to be a reason this was high on your list. Try to remember why. Then figure out how you're going to be the best resident you can be there and thrive. If you liked the location great - are you looking at apartments and getting excited about your life outside the hospital? Can you identify a mentor for your desired career path or for research? Accepting the program and trying to find out the ways it will help you (instead of the ways you feel it wasn't good for you) is the only thing you, and I, can do at this point.

The moral of this story is, don't rank a program if you don't want to go there. If an academic program was of higher concern for you, then you should have ranked those above the community program. You didn't, and the result is as it is. You can only go in, do your best, work for those letters for fellowship, and go on with your life.

So, what this basically comes down to is that you tried to game the match, and you lost.

I get wanting to make your SO happy. Most of us tried to do so as well. But I did it only in the context of 5 or 6 programs that were virtually the same in terms of quality.

This is a little late, but I'm also extremely disappointed about where I matched. I'm coming from a top 15 medical school and not going into a very competitive field. My top two choices were very competitive academic programs and subsequent choices were not so competitive. I made the mistake of ranking a community program that I thought seemed nice as my third, and above other less competitive but still respected academic programs.

That sucks man. Other posters have already pointed out that a significant percentage of applicants match at their #3, but it has got to feel like the consequences are disproportionate to the mistake.

Just remember that the same **** that got you to the top 15 medical school will make you a good candidate for getting back to the top. Nobody knows how much "good schools" and "good residencies" are responsible, and how much it's the simple fact that they recruit good students and residents (I would argue that given studies at other levels of training, the individual person is more important than the program). Make sure you don't let this keep you down for too long so you can be the best resident ever and then do what it takes to get back on track.

No you will never recover. The rest of your life is screwed. No you will never be a able to get a job.

You will end up living under a bridge and standing on street corners with a cup in your hand with a sign that says "will do an H and P with rectal exam for food". Or maybe in a best case scenario you will have to get a job in rural Idaho that doesn't have electricity or running water on the side of a mountain.

Good gawd. Get a grip. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. You made a sacrifice to be with your SO. Once you are with a SO and certainly once you have kids life is all about sacrifices. Maybe you actually like your SO and decided being in the same city had some importance? You can't have it all and have it all every day and every minute all of the time. Welcome to the real world.

That sucks man. Other posters have already pointed out that a significant percentage of applicants match at their #3, but it has got to feel like the consequences are disproportionate to the mistake.

Just remember that the same **** that got you to the top 15 medical school will make you a good candidate for getting back to the top. Nobody knows how much "good schools" and "good residencies" are responsible, and how much it's the simple fact that they recruit good students and residents (I would argue that given studies at other levels of training, the individual person is more important than the program). Make sure you don't let this keep you down for too long so you can be the best resident ever and then do what it takes to get back on track.

I agree. The silver lining is, if you really were a lot more competitive than the place you matched at (and presumably the people you matched with at that institution), then you should kick everyone's butt there, in a manner of speaking (don't be a gunner though). At this point, you are where you are. Trying to get the most of the situation is the best thing you can do.

I can't believe there's sometimes more talent and emotional intelligence in the free agent list than on the contracts. That's part of what's wrong with healthcare right now. And yes I will take my identifying info down because it was over the top. I don't hope you slip and fall. But I would love your seat because I know I would make a better physician despite your higher usmle scores and book smarts.

I was going to let this go but you're such a prick that I just can't.

You're pretty cocky for someone who was trained in a backdoor-to-the-US program Your attitude is all wrong. I suspect this came through as arrogance during your interviews. PDs actually felt so strongly about it they'd rather risk training no one, than training you. Yes it sucks you didn't match but your attitude needs to change. You took a gamble and a shortcut by going to the Caribbean despite all the available, unbiased information telling you that you shouldn't. You got caught in that gamble.