Eye vs Rock - Wear safety glasses while mowing the lawn!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a big advocate for safety glasses. I wear shooting glasses when I mow the lawn or hammer metal on metal. One of my colleagues gave me a sarcastic smile when I encouraged him to wear his while mowing the lawn. The irony is he was on call that night and saw a patient with a traumatic hyphema because a rock ricocheted off the side of the house while he was mowing the lawn.

Until now, I have not seen a case where a patient lost an eye because of a FB shot into the eye while mowing the lawn. This eye is NLP and will have to be removed. If you look at the photos closely, then you will see retina in the anterior chamber:

OD05102004.jpg.jpg

Wear your safety glasses when mowing the lawn!

Physician Volunteers Needed to Participate in National Eye Injury Survey

April 1, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO?The American Academy of Ophthalmology invites all practicing U.S. ophthalmologists, as well as emergency, pediatric and family physicians who treat eye injures, to participate in a one-day survey, the Eye Injury Snapshot Project. The Academy is conducting the survey on Monday, May 17, 2004.

Academy Secretary of Communications, Paul J. Sternberg Jr., M.D., said, ?More than one million people suffer from eye injuries annually. Eye injuries are the leading cause of visual impairment in the United States. The Academy wants to conduct a survey to determine how many injuries are treated during a 24-hour period of time on any given day in this country.?

The Academy plans to use the data obtained from the project to create public awareness of eye injuries and encourage eye health and safety behaviors. If successful, the survey could provide a basis for ongoing-annual data gathering efforts and provide a vehicle to distinguish ophthalmologists as providers of medical eye care.

If you?re interested in participating in the project and would like more information, to be sent a reminder or to obtain a copy of the survey, please visit the Academy?s Web site at www.aao.org/snapshot. All survey?s should be completed and returned to the Academy by May 31.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• OD.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 342
dang....that sucks.

Sweet mother of pearl! That does it...i'm going to be an eye doctor.

Is the retina the barely visible light colored material in the top half of the or the more visible light colored material in the lower right portion or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's one nasty complication of yard work! Will sunglasses cut it for mowing the lawn (no pun intended)? Or should I buy a real pair of safety goggles?

Sledge2005 said:
Wow, that's one nasty complication of yard work! Will sunglasses cut it for mowing the lawn (no pun intended)? Or should I buy a real pair of safety goggles?

You need real safety glasses. Some look like sunglasses:

2160.jpg

indo said:
Is the retina the barely visible light colored material in the top half of the or the more visible light colored material in the lower right portion or both?

It's the light colored material in the lower right portion. I'll write up the case and show more photos later.

OUCH! When one of my brothers was younger, he had a rock thrown from a lawn mower & lodged into the palm of his hand (I think one of my other brothers may have been mowing the lawn. Or perhaps he was). I guess he got off easy compared to the person in the photo.

Anyways, yes they're dangerous.

I just heard about 2 weeks ago from a friend that when he was young, his next door neighbor buddy was working a riding lawn mower (This kid was only 12 years old. His parents had no business letting him do that). Anyways, he RAN OVER his 5 year old sister!! My friend said that he never saw the little girl after that. His buddy's personality was really affected by it. He heard that his buddy's sister had lots of operations. The family ended up moving away a couple of years after the incident.

Sad things can happen when heavy machinery is involved. :(

aren't the polycarbonate glasses pretty good protection (and also pretty thin) for daily wear as well as protection? i once tried them in high school but the lens coating started peeling after about a year and i didn't like the yellow tinge whenever i looked at the edge of objects like white sheets of paper. i'm just using regular high-index lenses now for my glasses. i knew someone who nearly got hit in the eyeball by a golf club while playing minature golf. luckily for that person (who was standing behind someone who was making his swing), the club just hit them slightly about the cheek bone. to think...2 inches made all the difference.