EyeSi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How helpful was consistently practicing on EyeSi to help with surgical learning curve for phaco?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it was throwing suture after suture under a scope that helped me the most in terms of practicing outside the OR. I did find the EyeSi helpful as well early in the learning curve. I found the rhexis and divide and conquer modules to be helpful (less the modules where you're just touching the bubbles). Anything you can do to work on keeping your hands steady and working on small, controlled micro-movements can help. My PD told us to do things with our left hand too (brush teeth, each, shave, etc). Becoming proficient in the OR takes time, so be patient with yourself, but be critical of yourself and learn something from every ase.

Reactions: 1 user
This is so helpful! I just want to get better and better but I won’t be doing phacos for many months (and have done maybe 16-17 so far).

Did you practice throwing corneal sutures with 10-0 nylon under the scope?

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it was throwing suture after suture under a scope that helped me the most in terms of practicing outside the OR. I did find the EyeSi helpful as well early in the learning curve. I found the rhexis and divide and conquer modules to be helpful (less the modules where you're just touching the bubbles). Anything you can do to work on keeping your hands steady and working on small, controlled micro-movements can help. My PD told us to do things with our left hand too (brush teeth, each, shave, etc). Becoming proficient in the OR takes time, so be patient with yourself, but be critical of yourself and learn something from every ase.
Agree re these recommendations. One thing I would add for folks who are very early-on in training (likely earlier than original poster) is just be careful re forming bad surgical habits when doing EyeSi. As noted elsewhere, the EyeSi doesn't behave exactly like tissue, so it is important to pair it with learning on tissue. Also, if one hasn't really yet had much OR time when you are trying to get early EyeSi practice in, you might want to ask a mentor or senior resident if they can watch you in the EyeSi.

How realistic is Eyesi for the capsulorrhexis? Are you grabbing physical objects or just air?

Practicing the rhexis was what I found most useful about the EyeSi. You are grabbing virtual objects in thin air, which is exactly how it feels for the real deal (ie, the capsule is too thin to provide any haptic feedback).