Ez to match Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find like average step 1 stats for people that match by geography. Anyone know where to get this information? Also, it seems the Chicago area has only 8 residencies, and is it easy to match there?

Members don't see this ad.

The match doesn't break down stats by geography to my knowledge, and individual programs aren't going to disclose that information.

As far as Chicago, Loyola is typically easy to match because it carries a malignant reputation. UIC is also not particularly competitive and has a better reputation. Rush and UofC are reasonably competitive, and Northwestern is pretty competitive (though still nowhere near as competitive as somewhere like UCSF or Partners would be). So if you're reasonably competitive for neurology as a specialty in general, you probably won't have any trouble matching into Chicago specifically. That leaves 3 that are evidently new or small enough that I've never heard of them despite living only a few hours away.

The match doesn't break down stats by geography to my knowledge, and individual programs aren't going to disclose that information.

As far as Chicago, Loyola is typically easy to match because it carries a malignant reputation. UIC is also not particularly competitive and has a better reputation. Rush and UofC are reasonably competitive, and Northwestern is pretty competitive (though still nowhere near as competitive as somewhere like UCSF or Partners would be). So if you're reasonably competitive for neurology as a specialty in general, you probably won't have any trouble matching into Chicago specifically. That leaves 3 that are evidently new or small enough that I've never heard of them despite living only a few hours away.
Why is Loyola so malignant? The doximity reviews aren't too harping on that too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was well known in the region to have a toxic culture as of several years ago. Unless they've massively reformed (something claimed far more often than actually done) I would exercise caution.

Reactions: 1 user
Chicago has 5 residencies; Illinois has 8, but the remaining 3 are all 150+ miles from Chicago.

Based on the reddit application spreadsheets for the past few years (which is not very representative, but still), Rush and Northwestern are some of the most popular residency programs in the nation.

The doximity reviews aren't too harping on that too much.
Doximity is relatively meaningless.

Was well known in the region to have a toxic culture as of several years ago. Unless they've massively reformed (something claimed far more often than actually done) I would exercise caution.
Interviewed there this past year and spoke to a few residents. Definitely still a pretty heavy workload of a pretty disadvantaged population and massive critical care focus so you deal with a lot. Apparently the IM year is brutal but neuro years are much better as of late. PD was awesome though and faculty were pretty good too (from my small impression). I think they've made a turn for the better but I'm sure there is still room for improvement as there is everywhere. Definitely agree with the ranking of the Chicago programs I interviewed as most of them