F.a.c.s.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that I didn't get into a 7 year surgical program but a 5 year one. But I still wanted to be an academic surgeon. Could I become an academic surgeon at a hospital like Mass Gen. and have the F.AC.S. title behind my name? Or is that for those docs who have done 7 year residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say that I didn't get into a 7 year surgical program but a 5 year one. But I still wanted to be an academic surgeon. Could I become an academic surgeon at a hospital like Mass Gen. and have the F.AC.S. title behind my name? Or is that for those docs who have done 7 year residencies?

The length of your surgical residency has NOTHING to do with becoming a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Nor does it have anything to do with becoming an academic surgeon - even at places like Mass Gen. However, many physicians who want academic careers, regardless of specialty, do spend some time in the lab pursuing their research interests. But the "requirements" to be an academic surgeon vary widely - from just working at an academic medical center, teaching but no real research duties to running a lab. You can do both with only 5 years of surgical residency, but in general, if you are interested in research you should probably spend some time learning how to write grants and run a lab.

See http://www.facs.org/memberservices/2bfacs.html for full details on the requirements to be admitted as a fellow.