F. aid grant money?

k's mom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a Fin. Aid question, but I appreciate the perspective of a spouse/sig. other who has been through this. Okay, I am a little peeved, and I want to know if I'm out of line here. Hubby's Financial Aid letter came in yesterday, and he recieved ZERO grant money....a full $46,000 in loans. Based on what I have heard on other postings, most students seem to get at least a nominal grant of $2,000-$3,000 or so. Am I crazy? Does the likelihood of grant $ go up as you move into MS2 and MS3?
I knew how much this would cost, but I'm still a little perplexed. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It differs from school to school. Some schools give 0, some 2-3,000 (often do this with state schools), and some private schools (particularly some of the top ranked ones) give out avgs of 20,000 grants. Your hubby might just go to one of the schools that give out 0 in grants to everyone for all four years. He can talk with some of his classmates and see if they got anything though to see if it's the norm, and he should call and speak with his financial aid counselor to see if they will give him any more money in grants. It also might be because if you are working too, they might just think you don't need the money.

I am married and I don't know about you but my school still looks at how much my parents make. It doesn't matter how old you are how long you've been married ...

My grants have dependently gone up and down inversely with my parents income.

Hi K's mom!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I'm going to the same school your husband is attending. I too got ZERO grant money - all loans. Maybe our school is just stingy with grants?
I look forward to meeting you in August :)

Rezul