F in Theoretical Linear Algebra;

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

__AVI8R__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 years ago, I got an F in Linear Algebra. I was in way over my head with heavy proofs and derivations*. 2 years ago, I GPNCed (Grade/Pass/No Credit) Applied Linear Algebra and got a P (Pass) since I stupidly set my threshold for a pass to B+. In the pass semesters, I've gotten A's and A-'s in Calculus I-IV.

• How would this be viewed by DO medical schools especially given that I had As and A-s in other classes that same year?
  • How is a P treated in GPA calculation?
  • Should I retake linear algebra a 3rd time in order to potentially take advantage of some schools utilizing grade replacement in their own GPA calculations?

Lesson: Being the clueless freshman that I was, I had no idea withdrawing was even an option. Note to other pre-meds. WITHDRAW if you are likely to fail. Fixing that F is impossible now that grade replacement is no longer being used by AACOMAS. However, individual schools may recalculate the GPA to include grade replacement at their discretion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4 years is a long time ago.

If its an anomaly in your transcript it should be fine.

I've met medical students that have never even taken calculus II. If a medical school questions your critical thinking skills after a series of A's from calculus I-IV, then they are not with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users