MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Visit site
Status
I have a HP IPAQ pocket PC thats a couple of years old that I got off ebay.

I left it in my car for about a week iwth no charging.

I come back today, the power is drained, so I plug it in and let it recharge.

When it powers back on, it makes me go thru the entire OS set up procedure again, and all my calendar dates, contacts, notes have been erased.

WTF is this? Are you seriously telling me that if I dont keep my PDA charged that I will always lose every piece of data thats on there?

Surely, in this day and age, there MUST be a PDA that will not erase everything you have if the battery runs dead.

PLEASE tell me that I can buy a PDA, I dont care how much it costs, where I can count on it not erasing everything I have because of the battery goes dead.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
MacGyver said:
Surely, in this day and age, there MUST be a PDA that will not erase everything you have if the battery runs dead.
Sure, there is...the Palm Tungsten TX.

To quote the Palm web site:
128MB of non-volatile, flash memory...because it's flash memory, the information on your handheld is protected—even if you forget to recharge and the power runs down.

15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2002
Status
This is a well known problem with all older PDA's.

Anything Pre-Garnet for Palm and anything before Windows Mobile 5 for Pocket PC uses volatile memory (RAM) to store data. Historically, it made it much faster to move data, it didn't have a limited number of write cycles like Flash memory, and it used to be a lot cheaper than Flash memory (only recently has the price of Flash memory dropped). The biggest problem with using RAM as storage is that it needs constant power. When you turned your PDA off it didn't really turn off, it went into a kind of deep standby where it still fed a small amount of power to the memory to keep the data intact but constantly drains the battery at a very low rate. They also usually had a back-up battery (button/watch type) so you could pop out your main battery for a limited amount of time in case you had to swap or replace it. When the battery totally dies, the RAM loses power as well as all its data. Since your PDA was well and truly drained, your backup battery is probably dead as well, you will probably want to replace it. If it’s dead and you ever pop out the main battery for more than a few minutes you will use your data again.

However, as the number of write cycles for Flash dramatically increased and the price plummeted, it became a much more attractive storage option. All modern PDA's use Flash memory (Non-Volatile) for data storage and RAM for temporary storage/quick access (like a regular computer). The OS in modern PDA's usually resides in the Flash as well. Older PDA's have the OS hardcoded in to a ROM or EPROM which makes it much tougher to damage, but a lot more difficult to upgrade.

The only thing you can do is upgrade to a new Windows Mobile 5 PDA so you don't have to worry about running out of battery power or just make sure to charge it every few days or your data will disappear again just like last time.

About the Ads

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
KentW said:
Sure, there is...the Palm Tungsten TX.

To quote the Palm web site:

there's a llot out there, i think there's something wrong with your pda if it erases data if not charged........

15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2002
Status
tdkneo said:
there's a llot out there, i think there's something wrong with your pda if it erases data if not charged........
Try reading my post...

15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2002
Status
KentW said:
Good post, BTW... :thumbup:
Thanks. I've been an IT Manager/Network Admin. for nearly 15 years. and I'm always glad to help when I can. Over the years I've just more or less become tech. support for everyone I know IRL, so it's just second nature at this point.

DNP student

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
MacGyver said:

When it powers back on, it makes me go thru the entire OS set up procedure again, and all my calendar dates, contacts, notes have been erased.

WTF is this? Are you seriously telling me that if I dont keep my PDA charged that I will always lose every piece of data thats on there?

PLEASE tell me that I can buy a PDA, I dont care how much it costs, where I can count on it not erasing everything I have because of the battery goes dead.
Your contacts, dates, notes should still be on your desktop hard drive if you've been syncing. All you have to do is sync again to load that back on.

N-Surge

Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
DNP student said:
Your contacts, dates, notes should still be on your desktop hard drive if you've been syncing. All you have to do is sync again to load that back on.
But isn't it a pain reinstalling all the software as well?

DNP student

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
N-Surge said:
But isn't it a pain reinstalling all the software as well?
I was mainly answering his questino about contacts, calendar, et.
I agree that reinstalling software is a pain. I'm the technology coordinator at the school of nursing where I teach. Part of my job is to give tech support to the nursing students and faculty using PDA's. I continuously deal with helping to reload software. Unfortunately, not all new low-end PDA's keep data longer than 3 days after the battery dies.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
MacGyver said:

All of the info should be saved on your desktop if you sync it.

About the Ads