F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHINYBRAIN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Done with my first year in college.GPA dropped from 3.0 to a 2.6.I also got a F in CALCII(not a required course for my major/premed).
I'm quite confident I can bring up my GPA since I still have three more years,and Im also planning on retaking calc.
My question is how bad is a F on your transcript??

Members don't see this ad.

F won't look too good charlie... not too good

Members don't see this ad :)
And I thought you had a shiny brain.

An "F" hurts. It's averaged in as a zero. You probably already know that. If you're going to get one, freshman year is the year to do it. Yes, you CAN bring that GPA up. If you intend to time your application so that you would go straight from undergrad, then you would be applying right after your JUNIOR year, which would give you just two more years of grades. So, you'll want to do as well as you can to bring that GPA up. Get on an upward trend and decide later whether it's in your best interest to apply after junior year or wait to bring it up more.

1. For MD schools, the retake only gets averaged in with the other schools. Can't replace it.
2. Can you explain it?
3. You feel confident? What does that mean? Can't you sit down and figure out how many hours at a certain GPA you need to make to pull your cumulative GPA up to an acceptable level?!
4. Use the search button. You're not the first person to fail a class.

I made a thread about my friend's case where she got an F but pulled 4.0's from then on out and has around a 3.7 now. So yes it can be done and is not a dealbreaker if you show upward trend and improvement.

I took calcII because it meets a requirement for graduation.
My mother died last year,hope it offers an explanation.
And thank you element for the motivation.

Explain the circumstances and retake the class and get an A. Schools know life throws you curve balls. You just gotta do what you can with them.

Quick question....

If the course was not required for your major or medical school, why did you take it? For the sheer joy of enjoying those differential equations?

Usually a BS Degree requires Calc I + II.