-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
F
Started by classI
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Ugh, I failed Part I
Anyone know if this pretty much ruins my chance at residency?
When I was in school there was always an over supply of residency spots available. It possibly could affect which residency spot you get, but i doubt it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh, I failed Part I
Anyone know if this pretty much ruins my chance at residency?
Just curious, why do residency? I've heard a residency is required if you want to teach optometry.
Ive heard that doing a residency doesn't really help in Canada.
so i took it for the first time in august. i'll take it again in march for sure. just wasn't sure if that would eliminate my chances of residency. i keep hearing residency is good for tough job markets (cities) and might be required more down the line. i guess im gonna try to rock part 2's in the meantime...
Coming from the perspective of someone that interviews several ODs per year for the past 12 or more years, I think residency is nice if you have it but not required.
I believe that most ODs coming out of school will have a basic understanding of eye disease. I look for their 4th year experience with some good medical training on externships. I also look at what they did with their summers. Were they playing or working in the field at a doctors office? There is a huge experience factor that can be helpful with the more patient touches you can have.
I also look for someone who can build relationships. A doctor may be really smart and can detect any type of eye disease, but I have seen lots of those smart doctors fail in business because they do not connect with people. I can think of one doctor who is absolutely brilliant in the clinic. He bought out a retiring doctor's practice that had a very good chair-side manner and had built his practice through relationships over the years.
Within two years, the practice was in the hole and the new doctor claimed bankruptcy.
I believe that most ODs coming out of school will have a basic understanding of eye disease. I look for their 4th year experience with some good medical training on externships. I also look at what they did with their summers. Were they playing or working in the field at a doctors office? There is a huge experience factor that can be helpful with the more patient touches you can have.
I also look for someone who can build relationships. A doctor may be really smart and can detect any type of eye disease, but I have seen lots of those smart doctors fail in business because they do not connect with people. I can think of one doctor who is absolutely brilliant in the clinic. He bought out a retiring doctor's practice that had a very good chair-side manner and had built his practice through relationships over the years.
Within two years, the practice was in the hole and the new doctor claimed bankruptcy.