F30 NCI impact score + percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postalkwk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently submitted an F30 grant to the NCI. My first grant was Not Discussed, which was disappointing, but I went ahead, addressed the critiques, and prepared a resubmission. The scientific review was just completed and thankfully it was scored this time. My impact factor is 30 and my percentile is 21. I'm definitely going to speak to the program officer once I receive the summary statement back about the chances, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea about my chances for funding? I've been trying to research online, but the information on NCI impact scores/paylines is very scant and/or old. From what I've been able to find, it seems like my percentile score (21) is perhaps better than what would be expected with an impact factor 30? I know the success rate for NCI F30 is significantly higher than 21% but that the percentiles aren't completely analogous to the success rates. Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations, it's very good. You should be commended for responding to the critiques. My program has received funding for several NCI F30s in the past few years with percentiles ranging from 2% to 28%. Some institutes make no difference regarding FOAs, some do. I believe NCI does not make a difference.

I suggest emailing the PO once after score for clarification, but wait a week after council to really have a phone conversation. At this point, they really can't do much.

See also this link: Success Rates - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT) Look at the spreadsheet for fellowships #3 (scroll to bottom of page). Eventual success rate of F30 in 2016 was over 41% (62/149), but that includes A1 (resubmissions).