FA genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My UW average for gen/molec bio is sitting at 72% right now, but my biochem averages are eating the crapper at 39%. I'm starting to review Kaplan biochem & molec genetics and I'm thinking of skipping on reading through the 1st half of the book which is strictly genetics/molec bio and getting on to reviewing just the biochem part.

My question is this, is UW genetics pretty comprable to USMLE genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UW was more than sufficient for all subjects. I did well on genetics on UW and well on the real thing. I did mediocre at best in biochem on UW and well on the real thing. Don't let UW percentages freak you out - it is a learning tool not a substitute for the exam.

I think UW was more than sufficient for all subjects. I did well on genetics on UW and well on the real thing. I did mediocre at best in biochem on UW and well on the real thing. Don't let UW percentages freak you out - it is a learning tool not a substitute for the exam.

Cool thanks! There's just so much a person can read without information slowly fading away from their memory, that they just gotta triage and have faith in their existing knowlede.

Sorry for being off topic a bit, but I'm only getting 45% without any real studying...I have four solid months to prepare with no distractions starting june....is it possible to pull it up to 60-70%? Just kind of feel dumb at the moment cause I see people starting off at 55-60 etc.

Sorry for being off topic a bit, but I'm only getting 45% without any real studying...I have four solid months to prepare with no distractions starting june....is it possible to pull it up to 60-70%? Just kind of feel dumb at the moment cause I see people starting off at 55-60 etc.

tortoise vs. hare......doesn't matter how you start, only how you finish. keep working hard and i'm sure you scores will come up. 4 months is plenty of time.

hey!

im doing cell and molecular biology right now.....and im wondering, must i know the genetic code for each amino acid?

theyre abt 64 codons out there. besides the 4 comprising stop and start signals, there are another 60! :(

yea and you should also know the sequences for common genes (i.e. dystrophin)

hey!

im doing cell and molecular biology right now.....and im wondering, must i know the genetic code for each amino acid?

theyre abt 64 codons out there. besides the 4 comprising stop and start signals, there are another 60! :(

No doc u don't need to know the whole genetic code!! just know these 4 sequesnces as u gonna use it in questions!!
i'm still preparing but this is what Kaplan Video biochem said.. if u like to check some videos that could be helpful!!

recent studies show that the percent of the human genome you can memorize correlates very well with your usmle 2 digit score.

a retrospective study was conducted and it was found out that individuals who memorized the genome table scored above 260 on the real deal.....:laugh: