Face mask during virtual interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago_predental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an interview this Friday, and it is through Zoom. I cannot do the interview in my house since it will be too noisy/distracting. I reserved a study room in the library, but with the COVID restrictions I will have to wear a mask indoors even though I am vaccinated. Could this potentially be a negative against me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I have an interview this Friday, and it is through Zoom. I cannot do the interview in my house since it will be too noisy/distracting. I reserved a study room in the library, but with the COVID restrictions I will have to wear a mask indoors even though I am vaccinated. Could this potentially be a negative against me?
I honestly think you're gunna be ok and this is nothing to worry about at all lol

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought of just renting a hotel/motel room for a couple of hours or making alternative arrangements? I would think that having a mask on during an interview may make you less memorable or more memorable in a negative light? Putting a face to an application would seem important. It would be even worse if the interviewer was anti-mask. You'll be surprised how many nurses, doctors, and dentists are pretty anti-mask and only wear them in public for show. It's safer not to have a mask during a zoom interview, because you might be seen as one of those people that are alone in a car, wearing a mask.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a pro-mask/anti-mask debate, but just the assumption of the worst in people. Always assume the worst case scenarios in these interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you thought of just renting a hotel/motel room for a couple of hours or making alternative arrangements? I would think that having a mask on during an interview may make you less memorable or more memorable in a negative light? Putting a face to an application would seem important. It would be even worse if the interviewer was anti-mask. You'll be surprised how many nurses, doctors, and dentists are pretty anti-mask and only wear them in public for show. It's safer not to have a mask during a zoom interview, because you might be seen as one of those people that are alone in a car, wearing a mask.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a pro-mask/anti-mask debate, but just the assumption of the worst in people. Always assume the worst case scenarios in these interviews.
Completely agree. Maybe ask around with friends/family if you can use one of their houses? or office spaces? wework?

I think no mask is better.

Slightly unrelated, but when submitting your headshot for AADSAS, make sure it looks very nice and presentable as well. some schools will print your application and attach your photo to the front

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Completely agree. Maybe ask around with friends/family if you can use one of their houses? or office spaces? wework?

I think no mask is better.

Slightly unrelated, but when submitting your headshot for AADSAS, make sure it looks very nice and presentable as well. some schools will print your application and attach your photo to the front
Thank you! I ended up being able to just go maskless in the study room since I was by myself :) Felt like a more personal experience that way. Im also thinking of taking a headshot with the same interview clothes to jog their recall

Reactions: 1 user
Do not wear a mask to a virtual interview. Absolutely not. It makes it seem like you didn’t plan where to interview.